Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running my sound system wiring. Need advice from 05+ owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 05:56 PM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Default Running my sound system wiring. Need advice from 05+ owners

Hello everybody,

I am in the process of running my wires for my sound system, and I am having some questions come up.

So far I have run the power cable from the battery and through the passenger side fender well. The cable runs along the passenger-side door sill to the trunk.

My main question is this:

I know that Power Cable and Signal (RCA) cables are supposed to be run on opposite sides of the vehicle.

What about my speaker wire?

Can it run with the RCA cable? Can it run with the power cable? Does it matter?

Also...what about the remote turn on lead. Does it matter how that is run?

Attached is a diagram of how I planned my wiring.

The blue is RCA, the green is speaker and the red is power.

Again, not sure where the power lead can run.

Any input on my diagram would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT:

One more question: Can I remove my Shaker amps completely? Or will disconnecting them cause something else to stop working?
Attached Thumbnails Running my sound system wiring. Need advice from 05+ owners-vics_wiring.jpg  

Last edited by thedrod; 01-03-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:09 PM
CBSTANG
2nd Gear Member

First off, I am not an expert by any means, but when I did my amp install (4 way amp to door and rear speakers), I ran my power and turn on lead on the passenger side and my signal cables and speaker wires on the driver side. Also I found out the hard way that if you plan on running speaker cables through the rubber hose grommets that connect the car and the doors you are S.O.L., because Ford decided to put a plastic plug-in that takes up the whole hole (hard for me to explain) but basically with that there nothing can be ran to or from the doors. So luckily I realized that I could just wire the speaker wires to my wiring harness that I got from crutchfield for my HU to send the signal the rest of the way through the factory wiring (smaller gauge wires but it does the job). This link might help you too. http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/lea...ers_movie.html
Old 01-03-2009, 11:08 PM
One Bad Stang
4th Gear Member

check out taco bill's writeup section, there is an avic install somewhere in there and it should answer most of your questions.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:46 PM
luckydawg003
4th Gear Member

Yes, run the power wire and remote turn on wire on the passenger side. The Rca's and speaker wire on the driver side. You can get wires through the door grommets its just not easy unless you know what your doing. But if your not running a very powerful 4 ch. amp then you can just connect the speaker wires to behind the radio thus avoiding the door grommets. Best of luck.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:00 AM
A1SALEEN
3rd Gear Member

i ran my rca's through the center of the car and my zero gauge on the pass side
Old 01-04-2009, 12:28 PM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CBSTANG
First off, I am not an expert by any means, but when I did my amp install (4 way amp to door and rear speakers), I ran my power and turn on lead on the passenger side and my signal cables and speaker wires on the driver side. Also I found out the hard way that if you plan on running speaker cables through the rubber hose grommets that connect the car and the doors you are S.O.L., because Ford decided to put a plastic plug-in that takes up the whole hole (hard for me to explain) but basically with that there nothing can be ran to or from the doors. So luckily I realized that I could just wire the speaker wires to my wiring harness that I got from crutchfield for my HU to send the signal the rest of the way through the factory wiring (smaller gauge wires but it does the job). This link might help you too. http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/lea...ers_movie.html
Thanks for the heads up. I will try to figure out what to do for the door wiring. I am planning on running 150 rms to 6.5 door midbass and 75 rms to components in the doors. The amp is a JL 450/4. I am planning to delete the rear deck speakers all together.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:30 PM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by One Bad Stang
check out taco bill's writeup section, there is an avic install somewhere in there and it should answer most of your questions.
Thanks will check it out.