Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maaco Painted Stripes

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 04:57 PM
CapitalG
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Steve O Chap
You sound like you're trying to get us to convince you not to go there.... if you're confident that Maaco is going to do a good job, then just go there. It's your car, it's your risk.

You get what you pay for... :-)
No I'm not , and I'm not confident that they are going to do a good job thats why I made this thread. But I want actual reasons with like facts or experiences like cheftjpeck posted , not the typical "no dont go to maaco , I've never been but they suck b/c they're cheap"

also pictures would be most helpful of any painted stripes and prices
Old 02-07-2009, 06:05 PM
drfister
3rd Gear Member

Ok, back in high school one of my best buddies sent his car for a Macco make-over. He had a silver Mazda mx6. He bought some generic body kit and off to Macco he went, with his money. He told them to install the bodykit and paint the car blue (I know your not getting a body kit but you asked for facts and experience). I THINK he payed around $3000+ for everything. Back then, I didnt know much about cars or body work but was always told to avoid Macco. Being the good friend I am, I tried to tell him this, but my efforts were futile. Well, I think his car was in the shop a week or something and when it came out and he was showing it off I felt so bad for him and lied telling him it looked awesome. The kit was definatly not preped at all, it was hanging off the car in some spots. Where the kit met the car you could tell becuase it was all gunky. The paint felt really rough, and it didnt have any clear coat. They did not spray the jams, overspray was everywhere, it was just a mess. He went on to sell the car for money for university.
About a year or so later I was driving around in the next town over, take a worng turn down a street and what do I see, my buddys car sitting in the new owners driveway. Consitering this rare sight, I got out to investigate. The paint looked terrible. I donno if it was neglected by the new owner or what but it was chipping, peeling, had that orange peel effect and the paint was REALLY thin in some spots. Very sad stuff.

I'd hate to see someone else go through this experience, especially after being cautioned. Im not sayin all the Maccos are the same but from all the other responses here I think your starting to get the picture. I have a small number of pics of his car if your interested but nothing really to show the quality (lack there of) of the work. Whoever you choose to do your work, you must have 100% faith in their competence.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Branomano06GT
3rd Gear Member

Great idea if they mess up your car just let them keep it because if you refuse to pay I don't know how you plan to get your keys back from them....... its simple man there are some things you just don't skimp on and paint it definetely one of those things. BUt if your dead set on it do it I look forward to seeing how it turns out. Also paint is probably only 30% of a good paint job the rest is the person doing it someone who takes pride in there work will naturally charge more and make sure its done right but at a place like MAACO they really could care less and the rep shows it.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:07 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CapitalG
No I'm not , and I'm not confident that they are going to do a good job thats why I made this thread. But I want actual reasons with like facts or experiences like cheftjpeck posted , not the typical "no dont go to maaco , I've never been but they suck b/c they're cheap"

also pictures would be most helpful of any painted stripes and prices
they warranty their work for usually 1 year against PROVEN defects in the paint. now remember that key part..PROVEN. if your paint starts to chip they can claim you parked it in an area that has chemical residue that blows out of a hood system etc...or they can claim that the chips are caused by road debris etc...so good luck proving it...bottom line is yes, you can go to MAACO and yes they might do a decent job, but remember that the history is against them. Go down and see the Trans AM they are painting...see what they do...but when you see it fresh it may look great,,look at it in 3-6 months...after the elements have hit it...then see what it looks like...good luck to you...take your time and research. if MAACO ends up being your choice. be tough with them on the initial walk through after the paint. take pictures of your car before and after its done....any defects dont drive it off the lot without a written promise to repair...thats what the walk through is for at the end...you will walk your car...then they will ahve you sign your bill agreeing that the car was delivered as promised....so be ****, and be smart....
Old 02-07-2009, 06:11 PM
jjjmm49
2nd Gear Member

DON'T do it, find a good custom shop and pay the price.Maaco is not in the business of doing any type of custom work, I'll bet the stripes will even be straight. I've custom painted most of my life and when I did my stripes it took me 10 hrs just to lay the stripes , mask and prep. Plus the paint they use is nowhere near the quality of PPG. You will be SORRY,a cheap price for a cheap paint job. Ever see a car with the paint chalky looking this is what it will look like in 2 yrs.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:13 PM
gtguyonli
2nd Gear Member

Default Something my parents taught me long ago.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after low pricing is forgotten! Don't do it.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:49 PM
CapitalG
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Branomano06GT
Great idea if they mess up your car just let them keep it because if you refuse to pay I don't know how you plan to get your keys back from them.......
not that this would happen but FYI I have 2 spare sets of keys
Old 02-07-2009, 11:51 PM
CapitalG
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jjjmm49
DON'T do it, find a good custom shop and pay the price.Maaco is not in the business of doing any type of custom work, I'll bet the stripes will even be straight. I've custom painted most of my life and when I did my stripes it took me 10 hrs just to lay the stripes , mask and prep. Plus the paint they use is nowhere near the quality of PPG. You will be SORRY,a cheap price for a cheap paint job. Ever see a car with the paint chalky looking this is what it will look like in 2 yrs.
10 hours just for that , what about paint removal then repainting how long
Old 02-08-2009, 01:02 AM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Im having my new gt/cs bumper painted but the guys at the collision center at ford. Only 200-300 i believe (insurance is paying so im not very sure) and he said their paint is warrantied for life. ie. fading/peeling/overall craftmanship
Old 02-08-2009, 01:41 AM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CapitalG
10 hours just for that , what about paint removal then repainting how long
i dont think you understand the work it takes to prep for a good paint job. most of the work is the prep, someone who is good can spray the paint in minutes. Prep is hours......

if you go and look at that Camaro. look at the paint very very close, and at several angles, look at the edges of the stripes, how straight they are, how consistent the paint is, how smooth it is, should be no running, orange pealing , over spray....

i personally wouldn't accept anything under flawless when it comes to paint on your nice car.

i had a door of my old truck painted, i used a shotty shop. the clear coat ran in some spots, and the paint didnt match 100 percent. i really didnt care, it was good enough for my $5000 truck.

the body shop i use now is amazing. he painted a spoiler for my 04 mustang, trunk for my parents car, and cobra replacement bumper for my friends car. all three paint jobs came out FLAWLESS. better then the factory job.

you WILL get what you pay for, trust me!

Last edited by StickShifty; 02-08-2009 at 01:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Maaco Painted Stripes