Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque - Its Why I Love the Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 12:36 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by devilcaninex
Dont knock the rotary to bad while true it has no torque, My 95 RX7 is much more fun than my 08 GT
lol... you fail at reading... there is no Rotary in a 350Z... anyway...

I test drove a 350z before I drove my Mustang. I'd never driven anything with a V8(cept a tahoe... that don't count) But anyway... I was not impressed and had many complaints. It didn't take off like I had hoped... I drove less powerful WRXs and they "felt" faster. The gears are INCREDIBLY close. I went for 3rd and ended up in 5th :-| The clutch smelled nice tho :-) lol There is barely a rear view mirror and I just didn't feel comfortable sitting in it.

Then I drove a Solstice GXP. I loved how it looked, it wasn't comfortable sitting in it until I finally figured out how to adjust the seat lol Still felt a little cramped and I'm a small guy. It felt ok on Power, it didn't blow me away or anything, felt good in the corners. Driving with the roof up was bothersome, it always felt like I was gonna hit something when I switched lanes.

I drove a GTI... I was expecting a 15 second car(I didn't know much about them at the time) And I was surprised at how much torque the thing had and how quick it was. Brakes felt solid, good visability... but it felt like I was sitting in a mini-van(seats are HIGH)... and they're ugly imo.

So then I went and looked at a Mustang... a car which I had talked trash about and dogged before... And then I drove one. It just felt... right... It had PLENTY of power... it just WENT, no complaints... no easing into the power it just goes. It didn't handle that fantastic... but I enjoy modding my cars so I knew I would swap that out later anyway.. I had to have that power! The salesman even TOLD me to do a donut lol To "demonstrate" the traction control...yea ok lol fine by me. Now that i've had the car for over a year... I want more power lol I'm addicted
Old 02-26-2009, 01:10 PM
devilcaninex

No, YOU fail at reading. The last part of his post

"Other than that - the Z is a nice car though. Much nicer than the RX8 for example (a golf cart has more torque than the rotary). Very predictable in a drift, nice handling, comfortable, etc. "

I was just pointing out that while a rotary has no torque an 3rd gen RX-7 is much more fun to drive to me than my 08 GT/CS.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:16 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by devilcaninex
No, YOU fail at reading. The last part of his post

"Other than that - the Z is a nice car though. Much nicer than the RX8 for example (a golf cart has more torque than the rotary). Very predictable in a drift, nice handling, comfortable, etc. "

I was just pointing out that while a rotary has no torque an 3rd gen RX-7 is much more fun to drive to me than my 08 GT/CS.

Haha, my mistake... you are correct. I didn't see that last line, i thought it was part of his sig and didn't even read it lol It's these damn new lights in my office... they are throwing me off, I could get my nap in today lol
Old 02-26-2009, 01:18 PM
68ss350
2nd Gear Member

my mustang has a measly 310 ft/lbs at the rear wheels and i destroyed and 07 350z with intake/exhaust the other night on the freeway FOUR times. i got him by enough that i could cut him off and throw on the hazards My brother has an 04 Z, the slower one, and won't even race my GT anymore, after being bent over and raped from any roll speed and even worse from a dig. However, i really like driving the Z, it's so tight and handles amazingly. It feels like a little gokart or something. I don't have anything against the Z, it is nice, but honestly the 06-08 350Z doesn't pull like a mustang, the magazines are just paid off and bias. Just like everyone thinks Mach 1s are soooo much faster than Gts. I took a mach 1 with the same mods and 4.10s which i don't have!
Old 02-26-2009, 01:28 PM
68ss350
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Smooth_J
The mustang may not be the fastest thing on the planet, however I feel you are getting "raw power". Nothing has been done to make it more civilized, its just the way it should be
if you think these cars aren't "civilized", i dare you to go out and drive a 60s or 70s muscle car, going from my GT to my SS is like night and day difference. My camaro will smoke in 1st through fourth, that car actually frightens me to get on it. The GT on the other hand stops very well, turns on a dime, compared to my camaro, and has 21st century suspension. Though it does have torque, i think it is "civilized". I'm not going to lie, this mustang is the best DD anyone could ever ask for
Old 02-26-2009, 02:01 PM
Ato
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 68ss350
if you think these cars aren't "civilized", i dare you to go out and drive a 60s or 70s muscle car, going from my GT to my SS is like night and day difference. My camaro will smoke in 1st through fourth, that car actually frightens me to get on it. The GT on the other hand stops very well, turns on a dime, compared to my camaro, and has 21st century suspension. Though it does have torque, i think it is "civilized". I'm not going to lie, this mustang is the best DD anyone could ever ask for
I think what he was refering to was not a comparison of past and present pony/muscle cars but of current cars in the same class that make power in a very different, more linear and smooth way w/o all the tq or knock back feeling.
Hard to call it 21st century suspension when the car is still sporting a solid rear axle.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:18 PM
Chromestang67
1st Gear Member

Talking Still the best all round daily driver

What can I say the mustang is priced right, has the looks, and adequate power.

Ford has always had the resources and technology to built beastly engines but always focus on $$$$, engine life, fuel economy, emissions, and durability. When Ford's engineers get smart put the 5.4L on all cars even the focus then the old LS chevy motors will meet their match. Just put the 460ci in everything even the new fiesta.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:31 PM
Fullsayl
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 68ss350
...going from my GT to my SS is like night and day difference. My camaro will smoke in 1st through fourth, that car actually frightens me to get on it...
LOL, I could not agree more. My old '74 AMX/Javelin would lite'em up from 1 through 3rd with out effort. Not to mention the fact that corning the thing involved 3 prayers and an act of god! Our little S197's my be overweight and "unrefined" by some standards, but muscle has certainly come a long way.

~Matty
Old 02-26-2009, 03:56 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chromestang67
What can I say the mustang is priced right, has the looks, and adequate power.

Ford has always had the resources and technology to built beastly engines but always focus on $$$$, engine life, fuel economy, emissions, and durability. When Ford's engineers get smart put the 5.4L on all cars even the focus then the old LS chevy motors will meet their match. Just put the 460ci in everything even the new fiesta.
Speaking of the new fiesta... i would really like to get one of those for my second car/DD. I've been seeing a lot of good reviews on it :-)
Old 02-26-2009, 04:58 PM
blk05stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
What rental does have *****?

Quick Reply: Torque - Its Why I Love the Mustang