Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kind of stripes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 04:37 PM
probepro

Default What kind of stripes?

Haven't had stripes on a car for a long time, but as I recall they didn't hold up very well. Any opinions of the 3M decals? Shinny vs. regular? What about painted stripes?
Old 06-14-2005, 07:35 PM
BadMSTG

Default RE: What kind of stripes?

Paint is definately better (if you can afford it).
Old 06-15-2005, 12:20 PM
probepro

ORIGINAL: BadMSTG

Paint is definately better (if you can afford it).
It seems to me both paint and decals have pros and cons. Cost is not an issue. I'm mostly concerned about durability, and how it's going to look 5 years later. I would expect paint to be more durable, bot I don't like the idea of having to paint a brand new car. If the decals have about the same longevity as paint, I would probably go that way, especially if they can be removed and replace with new ones.

I am curious if anyone has had some first hand experience with this.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:27 PM
ChristopherCamel
2nd Gear Member

thats why i didnt get stripes..i dont want it to look like hell in 5 years...i like just plain anyway
Old 06-15-2005, 12:52 PM
nickbrace
2nd Gear Member

Dont paint them on as vinyl stripes last for years and are durable. Also - if you get bored as I may do then you can change color, ie - I will put black stripes on in a couple of years and take the silver ones off!
Old 06-15-2005, 02:36 PM
probepro

ORIGINAL: nickbrace

Dont paint them on as vinyl stripes last for years and are durable. Also - if you get bored as I may do then you can change color, ie - I will put black stripes on in a couple of years and take the silver ones off!
nickbrace, thanks for responding. I saw your GT yesterday for the first time, and it's now my wallpaper, at least until I get my own GT. Brings a smile to my face every time I boot up. Mineral Gray with silver stripes - very sharp, and not overdone. I'm normally not a fan of stripes, but they belong on the new GTs. I too would expect the vinyl to be durable, since 3M also makes the clear bra paint protection film, which I'm also considering. From what I've been reading, the installation process is very similar. I assume you had the stripes professionally installed, and you could have them professionally removed.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:19 AM
nickbrace
2nd Gear Member

[/quote]

nickbrace, thanks for responding. I saw your GT yesterday for the first time, and it's now my wallpaper, at least until I get my own GT. Brings a smile to my face every time I boot up. Mineral Gray with silver stripes - very sharp, and not overdone. I'm normally not a fan of stripes, but they belong on the new GTs. I too would expect the vinyl to be durable, since 3M also makes the clear bra paint protection film, which I'm also considering. From what I've been reading, the installation process is very similar. I assume you had the stripes professionally installed, and you could have them professionally removed.

[/quote]

Yep - professionally installed - guy had the laser equipment for exact dimensions, etc. He did it 10 times better than I ever could have done, dont try and do it yourself dude!