Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intersting Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 02:35 PM
ptaylor_9849
2nd Gear Member

He felt my car was nice but maybe as a garage queen not necessarily a daily driver which mine is. There was much more driveline vibration in mine between 2200-2700 rpm. Maybe the 4:10's, I don't know.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:20 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

He had no comment about the extra power?
Old 03-11-2009, 05:26 PM
ptaylor_9849
2nd Gear Member

Believe it or not, there's not a really radical difference between our two cars. My car has more torque which makes spinning the wheels easier but as far as moderate acceleration, it wasn't that huge. To be honest, I really wouldn't want to race him. In my car, I spend a great deal of time shifting gears while his spends more time accelerating in each gear. I kinda feel like 4:10's are just too short for the street. Please know that I'm 45 yrs old and I don't wail on my car. I do some moderate to heavy accelerating but that's about it. I feel that if we raced I would be shifting constantly with my 4:10's while he's pulling away from me like an automatic transmission with minimal shift lag with his 3:55's. The gears in my Z06 are very tall but it has the horsepower to still make them pull hard. Maybe the answer for the Mustang is 3:55's with a supercharger.

Last edited by ptaylor_9849; 03-11-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:57 PM
Andretti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ptaylor_9849
What I would really like to do is figure out if my chrome Hurst stem and white ball could mount on a stock shifter or maybe an MGW? That way I could have the muscle car look that shifts like butter. My shifter is actually a Roush but it has a Hurst stem. Man is it notchy.
I've done a variation of this exact thing this winter (Had the MGW shifter previously, but replalce the 12mm thread shaft to the more typical 3/8 thread from the same manufacturer). I then purchased a white ball shift **** that looks like the old style Hurst one but doesnt say 'HURST' on it anywhere. Unfortunately the car has been parked for the winter and I cannont really comment on if I like it better or not. I do know I like the 'look' alot better. I can give you a more informed opinion after I pick the car up in a few weeks.

Andretti
Old 03-11-2009, 07:31 PM
ICIBUY
2nd Gear Member

PTAYLOR... is your biggest complaint when it comes to noise the shifter noise or do you think its a little bit of the entire drivetrain kind of making noise due to the extra RPM's from the 410's? Im just wondering now if I should not install the new Hurst shifter sitting in my garage or leave it alone because I had a triax STS in my last Mustang and it rattled and vibrated like a SOB at high RPM's and I hated it!!!
Old 03-11-2009, 08:18 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

My Triax doesn't rattle at all. What happens is that the aluminum transfers transmission chatter very well into the cabin. The Triax is almost too solid for this car. It's very heavy duty.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:34 PM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

your car is alot faster then his bro, SOTP is nto a very good way to compare things as I did something simliar as you did but after we switched back we raced a few times and the car lenths I put on him pretty easily made me remember why I did mod...the extra power, traction etc...... and with the 4.10 ya you are shifting more but your out of your mind if you think he is just going to cruise by you cause he is not shifting as much, while your car is screaming towards redline his is slowly getting there....your 2nd gear pulls as hard as his first does almost and by time you switch to 3rd it may be close but its game over right then and there, his 2nd gear is too tall and even if you guys were modded the same and he had the stock gears thats where its going to get him when he has to switch out of 2nd to 3rd and u are already in 3rd pulling like snot. That was my problem back in the day with my buddy and my 5.0 and his he had 4.10 I didnt all the exact same mods and when we raced I would have him untill 3rd gear then by by
Old 03-11-2009, 11:33 PM
ptaylor_9849
2nd Gear Member

ICIBUY, it's very difficult to tell where exactly the noise is coming from because I had my Hurst Shifter put in the actual day I bought the car so I don't know anything else other than it. The car already had the 4:10's in it when I bought it also.

Tombstang, if push came to shove maybe my car would be faster than his but as I stated in my post previously, I just don't drive all that aggressively and I certainly don't race people. My driving style is very normal with an occasional outburst when I want to blow somebody off who's driving slow or something. What I'm saying is that his gears felt more street friendly. Not as much shifting but look down at the speedometer and your doing 60 in 3rd.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:56 AM
Ato
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ICIBUY
PTAYLOR... is your biggest complaint when it comes to noise the shifter noise or do you think its a little bit of the entire drivetrain kind of making noise due to the extra RPM's from the 410's? Im just wondering now if I should not install the new Hurst shifter sitting in my garage or leave it alone because I had a triax STS in my last Mustang and it rattled and vibrated like a SOB at high RPM's and I hated it!!!
I like mine just fine, it does make some extra noise when you get into the upper rpm range but I knew that going in. Anytime you replace soft rubber w/ harder poly bushings and a shorter throw w/ closer tolerences it's going to transfer more noise, there is no way around it. Obviously some companies do a better job of reducing the effects of this like mgw but that is also the reason you pay more for it. Personally the extra vibration at higher rpms under hard exceleration doesn't bother me, plus I like the look of the Hurst better then any other shifter on the market.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:04 AM
ICIBUY
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ato
I like mine just fine, it does make some extra noise when you get into the upper rpm range but I knew that going in. Anytime you replace soft rubber w/ harder poly bushings and a shorter throw w/ closer tolerences it's going to transfer more noise, there is no way around it. Obviously some companies do a better job of reducing the effects of this like mgw but that is also the reason you pay more for it. Personally the extra vibration at higher rpms under hard exceleration doesn't bother me, plus I like the look of the Hurst better then any other shifter on the market.
I did some searching for threads on short throw's and sorry if it seems like this is turning into a STS thread sure seems like Hurst wins the most "happiest customers" award, but my car is pretty much stock (performance wise) besides CAI and flowmasters and I just dont want to dump a bunch of $ in it on a STS, gears, etc.. and then MAYBE regret it someday as it seems PTAYLOR may be feeling. Anyway thanks for all the input on this... very interesting thread and BTW... PTAYLOR your looks sweet!

Quick Reply: Intersting Comparison