Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CONVERTIBLE Discussions....

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 01:02 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Default CONVERTIBLE Discussions....

Since I own a 05' GT Convertible I thought I might start up this thread to discuss issues, questions and concerns about our convertibles.

I've owned several Converts over time, so I have a little experience with these.

I got a little "surprise" last night… so you convertible owners take heed.

FINALLY decided to put my Convertible top up!... (Considering, since I hadn't done it yet, I didn't even know if it worked at all.)

Now - - - Keep in mind, the dealership put the top down when the car arrived on June 2nd. IT sat in their show room until I went to pick it up and I left the top down all the time I had it up until last night!

So the top sat folded up with the boot on for 20 days!

On the first attempt it stopped like 2" short of reaching the windshield... I thought "CRAP - This thing doesn't work!) But - I don't give up easily... SO.... I raised and lowered it a couple of times and each time it did it stretched a little closer to the windshield - Eventually I was able to wrestle it into its mountings on the windshield.

Put it down this morning on the way to work... When got to work I put it up... Came right up and stopped with the lead pins JUST holding over the mounting brackets. No problem.

So - If you have a convertible and haven't put the top UP in a while... Don't worry... it is not broke, it just shrunk and you have to exercise it a little to get it to lock in place. I suppose it is also a preemptive warning to be careful raising it in cool weather as the material might shrink enough to prevent you from latching it – at least not easily.

=================

Also - for those of you that have never had a Convertible - the book says never to put it down while wet. THEY MEAN IT!

Putting your top down wet causes mildew to grow on the vinyl. That folded up wet top sitting in the sun raises the humidity in the boot compartment to astronomical levels and creates the perfect environment for those little mildew boogers to grow like MAD!

Although everyone believes vinyl is mildew resistant - it is NOT impervious to the stuff. Mildew will eat away at the vinyl and cause it to flake, become brittle and make it weak. This will result in a horrible looking top that tears easily and will have cracks in the folded places. NOT to mention the SMELL, which you can never really quite get rid of.

Last thing. Your top is pretty easy to take care of. Keep it clean but never use any harsh solvents on it – those leather cleaner products are great to use. Pick up some type of rub in waterproof or top conditioner, and rub your top down at the start of summer and winter and it will last you for years.

For the record – my top takes 16 seconds to raise or lower.

Old 06-21-2005, 02:01 PM
Robs05gtvert
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: CONVERTIBLE Discussions....

ORIGINAL: Professor Wizard

For the record – my top takes 16 seconds to raise or lower.

Old 06-21-2005, 02:14 PM
Mister Roper
2nd Gear Member

I need someone to time me. Another trick I use: I go through the local touchless car wash but when I get to the dryer I park my hood under it and wait for the timer to run out. Then drive it three blocks home and finish her off.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:21 PM
ChewbaccaD
2nd Gear Member

I come from owning a jeep... electric tops are awesome!
Old 06-21-2005, 02:29 PM
Horst

I had problems puting my top for about four times. Now it works great, but I alway close it at night. My neighbor's cats seem to like to spend the night in my garage.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14754/18E45D1F44F4438FADD3C88370F57DFF.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-21-2005, 02:30 PM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

time to shoot the cat...

hmm.. your car seems familiar...
Old 06-21-2005, 02:34 PM
Robs05gtvert
2nd Gear Member

I had my car 2 days and the left clip broke on my top. I called the dealer and told them about it and he said I was waiting for your to call. They have not had one vert yet that didn't have the clip break...so be careful. He said it is a defective design. Anyone else have that problem?
Old 06-21-2005, 02:58 PM
ChewbaccaD
2nd Gear Member

Rob, I haven't had that problem. I've only had her for a few days now, but I've put the top up-and-down a lot. It still feels sturdy. Wonder how old that design flaw is? I've got a 5/05 build. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:59 PM
huffhuff
2nd Gear Member

lubricating the hinge points will help too.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:09 PM
Exilenla
2nd Gear Member

Nice Ride.....or is that a picture of mine you copied from the gallery
ORIGINAL: Herknav

time to shoot the cat...

hmm.. your car seems familiar...

Quick Reply: CONVERTIBLE Discussions....