Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CONVERTIBLE Discussions....

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 04:40 PM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: CONVERTIBLE Discussions....

I can honestly say I have never had a leak and always use mequires like Proff. uses on all the seals and the top. Works like a charm.

I take mine through touchless washes when I don't have time to play all day in the water, and never once have even gotten a drip from anywhere. I must be lucky, on that note, It just rained and my door wasn't shut all the way, so the window wasnt sealed.......dooohhhh.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:20 PM
stratjakt
2nd Gear Member

Can anyone seriously confirm that the top is impregnated canvas? This has been driving me nuts.

The manual refers to it as vinyl. I thought it was canvas.

If it's vinyl I'd like to try that 303 aerospace protectant on it, if it's not, I'd like to try whatever is appropriate.

My car will be outside for nearly all of it's life. A black roof fading in the sun won't look so good in a few years unless I can find some sort of UV shield for it.

Old 08-24-2006, 06:37 PM
jts
2nd Gear Member

Ya..my top was down when ready for pick up at the dealer.
The first time I went do it up,scared the crap out of me,
it was so tight !!

After a night with it done up,and a few more 'cycles'
it's a joy to have an electric top .
My previous 'verts were both manual.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:32 PM
stratjakt
2nd Gear Member

It gets easier to put it up and down. I was worried about the force I had to use to close the latches at first (05), but it sort of works itself in, plus you get the hang of it.

All you gotta do is glance it over, make sure it's not wet or got junk on it (leaves and sticks and whatnot) that could puncture it while folded.

And if it is wet, it's bone dry after a couple minutes driving in the sun, or at least my black is.

I put mine down on the way to work, up while I'm working, then down again for the ride home. Driving with roofs is for wussies who are scared of rolling the car.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:35 PM
ScottRNelson
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stratjakt

It gets easier to put it up and down. I was worried about the force I had to use to close the latches at first (05), but it sort of works itself in, plus you get the hang of it.
My top never did get easier to latch. I worked at it for a full year and if anything, it got slightly harder.

But because my top was installed wrong at the factory and was wearing a hole in the fabric on the side, the local dealer installed a totally new top and frame under warranty. Mine is now very easy to close.

I just wish I could figure out how to make it go down about another half an inch when it's retracted, like where the old top used to be when it was down.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:49 PM
stratjakt
2nd Gear Member

Maybe I've just gotten more used to it, or it's been a little warmer..

One thing I noticed is that on my back window there's little "threads" hanging loose around where it's installed. I've been meaning to go back there and melt them flat. It's not leaking or anything, it just looks a little bit chinsey.

"A little bit chinsy" has been a bit of a recurring theme with this car, but what can ya do about that. I still love driving it, and thats the most important thing.

BTW, Nelson, you have the exact same car as me. I think. If you have a cloth interior its the exact same. Actually I dont have the black "mustang" stripe on the side. And I don't have a spoiler either.

Forget it, you have a totally different car than me.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:50 PM
Rrruss
1st Gear Member

The 05 and 06 tops are vinyl, too add to the confusion the official term Ford uses for the material is "Sailcloth".

The 07 has the option to upgrade the top to cloth (I think it's only $100).
Old 09-03-2006, 07:58 PM
blk4kat

My wife has had an 'o5 for about 4 months now and loves it! Last thursday night the top would not come fully up, stopping about 1/3 up. The dealer says the top is broken inside, and requires a total replacement!! Covered under the warranty, but I hope this is not a prelude to the future..