Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disappointed with 4.10s

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 01:51 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
Definitely a beautiful car and I would be jealous.

Just not a very good value for performance/$.
lol yeah, I can agree on that.. it's like they are just milking it for the title and name... it's more of a status symbol.

But I still want one!

(-:
Old 04-30-2009, 03:21 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

I literally know people that think they can tell a difference between regular unleaded and premium. In their LAWN MOWER.

Others swear they can tell the difference between a 93 and an 87 octane aftermarket tune. We're talking in that case literally, 2-3% AT MOST, of a power differential. Being the skeptic that I am I would like to do a blind test on that and see if I can win some money on a bet.

If you're one of those people who are like the above and get a "mega" difference in perception over the reality of the gains. Then good times with every mod you do. If you're like me you'll not be truly happy with anything but the blower. The rest is just kind of... MEH.
I could tell a difference at the track between the 87 per and 91 tq. tune. The 87 tune didn't felt like it didn't have nearly as much power in the lower RPM range. It felt okay above 3,000 but the track is only an 1/8 mile, so it's a little too late. The fastest I have ran with a 87per tune is 9.3.., fastest with 91 race is 9.0.. and fastest with 91 tq is 8.68 and this is with a density altitude (DA) of around 2500'
Old 04-30-2009, 06:47 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Believe me. If I hadn't got such a good deal ($150 shipped) on them I might not have done it. 3.55 isn't that bad of a gearset in the first place especially if I go with FI in a couple years.
I have a Vortech HO S/C and 3.55's (from the factory) on my car and I am very happy. I personally think it's a good balance....3.73's might be a really good balance also, but my shop has said it's not worth the money to trade out the 3.55's for 3.73's.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:55 AM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

So you didn't notice a huge difference from the 4.10s? Seriously? Maybe you need to drive around a couple more days? 4.10s really woke my car up...
Old 04-30-2009, 11:28 AM
JMoraru
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by whtcanbrwnd04u
So you didn't notice a huge difference from the 4.10s? Seriously? Maybe you need to drive around a couple more days? 4.10s really woke my car up...
yea...im really surprised myself that i didnt. i am about to head back to the shop to have them look at them.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:58 AM
JasperGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JMoraru
Well, after much thought i decided to get 4.10s (Ford Racing). Install went fine and it drove fine. The shop told me that they were confident i did not need a break in and the mechanic took it for a drive and got on it decently hard. I decided to take it somewhat easy on the way home and then let it cool down. Go back out and i must say i felt quite disappointed with how much hype some people make about these. I had 3.55 before, but the only time i feel it may be worth it is in 5th.
Why would they not recommend a break in period? That seems completely stupid and ignorant.

Originally Posted by whtcanbrwnd04u
I couldn't agree more. The first time I left the shop I was amazed.

I'm not sure what the OP was expecting performance wise for $400. Seems like a great bang for the buck to me...
Old 04-30-2009, 12:07 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasperGT
Why would they not recommend a break in period? That seems completely stupid and ignorant.
Guess it all depends on what you mean by break in period.

Probably good idea to go easy on it for a while and don't push the car real hard or drive it for more than 25 miles each trip during the first 100 miles or so. Some people go WAY further than that and it's probably not necessary.

He was probably expecting "A whole new car!!" based on some of the commentary here.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:18 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

I had my 3.73 gears installed by a very experienced Mustang shop. The owner drove the car a couple miles after the install and said no break-in is needed. I have had no problems and I've been driving on them for a couple years now.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:45 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Really? Does Ford have a break-in period for ring-and-pinion gears when you buy the car new? (NO) None of the techs I know that do these 8.8 gear changess recommend a break-in.
I had my gears changes with 10 miles on the car. No break in after changing to new gears. No whining because gears were installed correctly. No need for break-in.
The fox has had gears changed twice and neither time did we have a break-in period.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:49 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Someone pointed out that there is a blurb in the car's manual mentioning you should go easy on the car for the first 1000 miles. I'm not sure of the exact wording. One would assume this breakin period is designed to help the new gears get run in along with other components on the car.

Quick Reply: Disappointed with 4.10s