Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cant believe this can happen

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 01:06 AM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xeno
lol, i wonder what the error code was: "error code 82394875 - fly in maf"
lol
Old 06-02-2009, 08:15 AM
TEXASGT/CS
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ensign_lee
Dude, what the heck were you doing in WYOMING?!?! You live in TEXAS, dangit!!!

Back on topic though, I ran into the same problems while at a high elevation in colorado. I think it has to do with our tunes. I just reloaded the tune and went on my merry way, although it did seem like my car was gasping for air when I got to the tops of the mountains. I couldn't get any power at all in gears 4 or 5.
Funeral

thats the weird part she never seamed to have any lose of power or even run ruff, sometimes in the mourn she would idle a little high for a few seconds but thats about it.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:29 AM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

My cousin let his headers sit outside in his garage for about 2 months before installing them. When he finally got around to putting them on, he started it up.

After about 5 minutes of listening to it idle, he revved it up a good few times and a mud-dobber (spelling) nest flew out the right tailpipe and hit the garage door shattering into dust and small wasp larvae were all over the place....dead of course.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:39 AM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ensign_lee
Dude, what the heck were you doing in WYOMING?!?! You live in TEXAS, dangit!!!

Back on topic though, I ran into the same problems while at a high elevation in colorado. I think it has to do with our tunes. I just reloaded the tune and went on my merry way, although it did seem like my car was gasping for air when I got to the tops of the mountains. I couldn't get any power at all in gears 4 or 5.
I had the same problem at over 11,000 ft. in Colorado last week. The "service engine soon" light came on, and I had no power when it was shifted to high or overdrive. I have an automatic, Steeda CAI, and Brenspeed tune. I was running the 91 octane tune, because they don't sell 93 in high altitudes. It finally got better when we got to Denver, which is of course at about 5,000 ft. The "service engine soon" light went out after driving around Denver for a while.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:48 AM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

Originally Posted by wthalliii
I had the same problem at over 11,000 ft. in Colorado last week. The "service engine soon" light came on, and I had no power when it was shifted to high or overdrive. I have an automatic, Steeda CAI, and Brenspeed tune. I was running the 91 octane tune, because they don't sell 93 in high altitudes. It finally got better when we got to Denver, which is of course at about 5,000 ft. The "service engine soon" light went out after driving around Denver for a while.
i don't know how much it would effect a specialized tune or not, but i've heard that when you are in the higher altitudes, you should use the lower octanes; i.e. if you normally use 87, put in 85... and i'd guess in your situation (or any situation where someone is in a higher altitude) if you have it set for 91, maybe use 90 (if they have it) or 89.

for a long time, when we went to colorado, we would pay extra and put in 87 (figuring that was the best thing to do) and our car wouldn't run as well and would ping on occasion. one time we went to a station that only had 85, so we had to put it in. low-and-behold, the car ran better and didn't ping. i don't know if that was coincidence or not, but the car did run better.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xeno
i don't know how much it would effect a specialized tune or not, but i've heard that when you are in the higher altitudes, you should use the lower octanes; i.e. if you normally use 87, put in 85... and i'd guess in your situation (or any situation where someone is in a higher altitude) if you have it set for 91, maybe use 90 (if they have it) or 89.

for a long time, when we went to colorado, we would pay extra and put in 87 (figuring that was the best thing to do) and our car wouldn't run as well and would ping on occasion. one time we went to a station that only had 85, so we had to put it in. low-and-behold, the car ran better and didn't ping. i don't know if that was coincidence or not, but the car did run better.
Interesting. My Ford Owner's Guide says, "We do not recommend the use of gasolines labeled as "Regular" that are sold with octane ratings of 86 or lower in high altitude areas." But you had better luck with the lower octane than with the recommended octane. I guess this is a case of, "Your results may vary."
Old 06-02-2009, 11:24 AM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

we were in a jeep, so maybe that had something to do with it. but, even though the manuals say not to use anything lower, some things i've read and a few mechanics we know said to try using the lower octane, and it seemed to work... and the engine still runs fine, so that's a plus
Old 06-02-2009, 11:27 AM
TEXASGT/CS
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Art161
Interesting. My Ford Owner's Guide says, "We do not recommend the use of gasolines labeled as "Regular" that are sold with octane ratings of 86 or lower in high altitude areas." But you had better luck with the lower octane than with the recommended octane. I guess this is a case of, "Your results may vary."
Yea, I did the "oh crap all they have is 85 octane" and paid for the 88 that was at one station, however at some of the stations we used they did not have mid-grade so I went with the 85, I never really noticed any difference no matter what I was running, and like I said in my op, my car never ran bad or had any lack of power,
It must have been a "super fly".
Old 06-02-2009, 11:42 AM
cbrstng08
2nd Gear Member

Dealer: "Sir, there seems to be a fly in your MAF"

TexasGT/CS: "Well what's it doing in there?!"

Dealer: " Why the backstroke! Ha Ha Ha"

Sorry couldn't resist, i love cheesy jokes. But yeah i call bullcrap on that story.