Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do i reflash my computer back to stock?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 03:27 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

you'll be fine

when you restored your PCM to stock, the x-Cal removed all traces of itself from the PCM, and it also deleted your stock PCM program from itself.

and I doubt they reflashed your PCM for a simple head swap...they might have given you the latest PCM strategy...but doubt it.

basically, you are back to square 1. just pretend your car has never had a tuner/cai before and re-install everything and flash the PCM. If you do run into any issues, contact your tuner and have him update his tunes to reflect your current PCM strategy
Old 09-28-2009, 03:40 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus
you'll be fine

when you restored your PCM to stock, the x-Cal removed all traces of itself from the PCM, and it also deleted your stock PCM program from itself.

and I doubt they reflashed your PCM for a simple head swap...they might have given you the latest PCM strategy...but doubt it.

basically, you are back to square 1. just pretend your car has never had a tuner/cai before and re-install everything and flash the PCM. If you do run into any issues, contact your tuner and have him update his tunes to reflect your current PCM strategy
+1

But just make sure to check your "strategy code" first with your x-Cal to make sure they did not update it. If the code is the same your good to go but if they changed it you will have to get a new tune as Tylus stated.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:50 PM
moose_knuckle

Originally Posted by CutterWolf
+1

But just make sure to check your "strategy code" first with your x-Cal to make sure they did not update it. If the code is the same your good to go but if they changed it you will have to get a new tune as Tylus stated.
Thank You all for the responses. I just wanted to make sure that if they did a tuner (I got my tunes from brenspeed) could still fix the problem. A friend had mentioned this to me when he had a similar problem when he took his car in for 60k service or something.. I will check and see if my programmer works when I get home from work. Thanx again
Old 09-28-2009, 09:54 PM
doode
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moose_knuckle
It's been awhile since I have been on, (family problems) but I have some good information about the P0304 problem and what they did to my car...

I finally took my car into the dealership and they ended up having my car for about a month.

First off they took over a week to diagnose the problem. The problem ended up being a valve on the 4th cylinder. I don't remember if it was exhaust or intake but one of them was not closing all the way and leaving enough clearance to cause a problem with the mixture and throw the check engine light. At least that's how I understood it from the guy on the phone.

They ended up deciding to change out my right side head, which was going to cost $3800. Supposedly any work $2000 or more has to be approved by Ford corporate, which basically meant I had to wait another week for that to happen.

After all of that they did all the work and now I have my car back; Finally.

My question is this...

I have a CAI I want to re-install it on my car and was wondering if I would have any problems because of the work that was done. I take it since they replaced the whole right head that they might flash my computer and I have heard of people having trouble reloading tunes after having warranty work done. I tried to search for other threads about this but didn't find anything. Is there anyway around that problem?
funny....they kept my car for over a month for a new cylinder head as well

dealership give you a courtesy car / rental car ?
Old 09-30-2009, 04:45 PM
moose_knuckle

Originally Posted by doode
funny....they kept my car for over a month for a new cylinder head as well

dealership give you a courtesy car / rental car ?
Yea they gave me a rental car. That was why they were trying to get my car done so fast. They didn't want to pay for a rental car. I have stumbled upon a new problem now..

I put my CAI back on and it went on without any real problems. The problem was when I TRIED to start my car. It would turn over and make the up and down sound like it was trying to start, but it wouldn't kick over. I dunno what could be wrong with it. I double checked that I have everything hooked up right. I'm running 89 octane fuel/ tune. Any ideas on what the problem could be? Disconnect/reconnect the battery? I dunno, im grasping for solutions...