Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing shaker 500 head unit. Questions/advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 11:28 PM
TypeS
2nd Gear Member

Default Replacing shaker 500 head unit. Questions/advice

I'm looking for a replacement for the stock shaker 500 unit and Pioneer devices seem to be very popular so I had some questions:

1)The ipod integration is made possible by the installation of an additional cord, correct? How well does the interface work? Can movies be played off an ipod?

2)The AVIC-D3 seems very popular but I don't really need the navigation features, I am really looking for a good DVD/CD/Ipod system, would either of these work or are there better systems?

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...s/AVH-P5100DVD

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...s/AVH-P4100DVD

3)I want to be able to play DVD's while driving, would I be able to get an installer (such as bestbuy) to bypass the safety feature with some persuasion($$)? Or is this even required on all units?

4)Where would be a good place to purchase a unit for a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance for any help/answers.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:44 AM
yc420
2nd Gear Member

1. Not too sure but I think you're right.

2. The Pioneer AVIC-F900BT is a navi, DVD player, CD player, and MP3 all in one. They also have the Pioneer AVIC-F700BT which is all of the above except the DVD player. Most aftermarket head units will come with navigation. I had a friend that had an AVIC-F900BT (DVD player) he had it installed at an electronics place (they bypassed it for him so he could play movies while he drives). However, after a month or so of having it he said it's not worth having the DVD player. Most people watch movies in their homes. And for the people that go on road trips, most don't take their mustangs. Let's face it, it's not the best road trip car.. If you must have a DVD player then go for it but I really don't think it's worth it. As far as the navi goes though, I think you'll have to just put up with it.

3. You might be able to bribe Best Buy but then again you might not be able to. If you know someone then yes I'm sure they would bypass it for you but if not, it's a 50/50 chance. On factory units it's required to have the e-brake engaged to play movies (Don't even think factory units can be bypassed). And on aftermarket it would be required for a legal installer to "not bypass it" but it's very easily possible to.

4. Good places to look would be www.crutchfield.com and amazon is also a good place. I'd just google the unit you're looking for and go from there searching from site to site. Best Buy also has units sometimes so check them out as well. My friend bought his from crutchfield. They also have a magazine that has discounts and special promotions every once in a while.

Good luck,
yc420
Old 07-03-2009, 04:28 AM
teejay76
1st Gear Member

I picked up a few goodies from Sonic http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_m...eceivers-.html

Crutchfield is good as well. I purchased my Pioneer headunit from them only because Sonic was on backorder. Usually a bit more expensive than Sonic, but they will include halfway decent installation procedures for the Mustang.

As far as the bypass wiring it's a piece of cake. There's a few great write ups on these forums on how to do it yourself (So easy a Caveman can do it).

I myself replaced my Shaker 1000 with the Pioneer F90BT Navi. It took all day on the installation because I was too cheap to purchase the expensive wiring harness, so I had to wire in a voltage regulator, speed sensor, etc in the hardway.

As far as Ipod control my headunit was included with the Ipod adapter http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...CD-IU230V.html which has video playback and Iphone compatibility.

Hope this helps shed some light.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

Buy mine, it has every feature except navi. It has custom eq settings that really make the shaker 5oo bump and sound really nice
Old 07-03-2009, 07:00 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

I personally love the JVC navi and multimedia units, they work awesome! I'm getting one after the kenne bell goes in (speed first ). I'd get one of these...

http://www.mobile.jvc.com/product.js...005&pathId=126

and I'd check www.onlinecarstereo.com or ebay to buy them