Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter instal problem... never read of this before...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 11:47 PM
britinmn

Crap - I think it must be cross-threaded

Possible fixes guys?

I was thinking, throw some locktite on the threads, add somewashers to fill the gap between the bolt head and the shifter arm so as to hold the shifter arm in the correct position, and tighten it down as much as possible. This would at least hold the Shifter arm in the correct position, and with the locktite, it shouldn't vibrate out....

I wonder how much force is exerted on that bolt.. it is only holding the shifter arm in place against the force of shifting..... would that be enough to snap it if it's not able to be fully driven in??? ummhhh...

I am SO ready for a beer or 2 now!!!!

Again guys, all tips are greatly appreciated!!
Old 10-19-2009, 11:57 PM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

It's not the bolt you have to worry about breaking, it's the case on the transmission. I'm pretty certain these are aluminum cases. If you're cross threaded, only half seated, and put shear force on the bolt, you're liable to blow the side of the boss off the housing, and that'd really screw you good. I think when I did mine, I used the ratchet to tighten it down, but don't remember having to force anything.

If you've cross threaded it, if you can find the start of the proper threads you can re-install it and try to use the bolt to re-cut the threads 'properly' so you can install it all the way. Just make sure if you go this route that you have the bolt set up properly.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:08 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING

loosen the trans cross member and let the tranny fall down somewhat so you have more access to that area.

go to the parts store and buy a TAP & DIE that matches the bolts. Re-tap the transmission piece, and use the Die to clean up the threads on the bolt (unless you have a new one)

forcing the bolt through is an option, but it can lead to other problems. especially if it siezes up partway through. or you could get that bolt seated, and the puppy would never come off.

those threads need to get cleaned up first thing
Old 10-20-2009, 01:12 PM
britinmn

Thanks again for all the assistance guys - the forum is only as good as the people that post on it, and I sincerely thank you all for taking your time to help me with this...... you'd think that after 39 years on this planet I'd at least be able to get a bolt in it's hole correctly ....... grrrrrrr.....

After thinking it over (and of course stressing over it, so no sleep last night!) I bit the bullet and took it to the dealership. My dealings with them so far have been very positive, so rather than me buying a tap and die and screwing it up more, I thought I'd just pony up the $'s....

So - $180 later (ouch) she is all fixed.

Be sure that I will be beating the snot out of it on the way home tonight to be sure I get my $180 worth out of that darn shifter!!!

Must say, so far I am very pleased with the Hurst shifter - hard to believe just how much different the aftermarket shifters are from the stock one - definitely a night and day diference!!

Thanks again guys!