Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Bullitt . . thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 04:59 PM
Steve68Cougar

I'm really enjoying my '08. The "extras" included in the Bullitt package were what I would have wanted to do to a regular GT anyway. I'm a bit partial to green, as my '68 Cougar is exactly the same color. It's a very comfortable car and fun to drive. As for the Bullitt vs. '10 debate - the new interior is nicer and the exterior is subject to taste. Speed wise, they're just about the same (slight edge to a '10 w/ the Track Pack). A coworker recently got a '10 GT and I really like his car. I, however, wouldn't sell my Bullitt to get a '10.

About the exhaust... the Bullitt is an H instead of an X. There is a freeze plug welded in the crossover with a 3/8 hole drilled in it. That keeps the exhaust pulses separated a little more and tends to lower the tone. According to what I've read, it's as loud as they could legally make it. I've had it to the track and autocrossed it and I always get compliments on how nice the car sounds.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:28 PM
oldlugs
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MR_Q
I loved the Bullitt that I drove. I thought the dash was lame. They claimed it was to make it look like an old school muscle car... What they seemed to forget was that it looked like and old school PONTIAC muscle car....
NOT! Pontiac's sure weren't the first to have an "engine turned" dash... That look was popular with hot rodders since the 1950s! Pontiac just resurrected it again in the '70s, but used vinyl stick-on crap. This is real "engine turned" aluminum in the Bullitt. Nothing to do with copying anyone, especially not Pontiac. Look at some original '50s customs.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:52 PM
08SilverStang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
I LOVE the Bullitt, wish I had one in the dark green. Would never mod it either.
Haha yeah right! "Would never mod it either"
Old 10-24-2009, 06:04 PM
Branomano06GT
3rd Gear Member

Yeah... I would NEVER mod it either... "oh ****" ummm.... Steve McQueen told me in a dream he actually liked mine better =) muhahah the badasses always like black out cars... haha
Old 10-24-2009, 06:42 PM
MR_Q
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by oldlugs
NOT! Pontiac's sure weren't the first to have an "engine turned" dash... That look was popular with hot rodders since the 1950s! Pontiac just resurrected it again in the '70s, but used vinyl stick-on crap. This is real "engine turned" aluminum in the Bullitt. Nothing to do with copying anyone, especially not Pontiac. Look at some original '50s customs.

I cant ever recall seeing a factory production muscle car prior to the T/A that had the engine turned dash. I also didnt think that the dash was aluminum in a bullitt? It certainly looked/felt plastic to me... But you have one so you would know better, lol. I just thought it looked cheap. But I think that about the whole interior on the s197s. Its the weakest link of the car. I'm not very knowledgeable on the 50's era hot rods either. I didn't think it screamed "old school Mustang". I saw it and instantly thought "T/A", not "Vintage 50's hotrod". It seemed too "flash" for the understated look of the car. Just my opinion
Old 10-24-2009, 07:08 PM
GreenBully

I think the correct term is machine turned not engine turned dash, I think so?
When I was deciding on what kind of Mustang I was going to buy, the turned dash was a selling point for me because I owned a 1970 GTO Judge but had to sell it back in the 80's and I always miss it. so the turned dash reminded me of my GTO and also the Bullitt is a special upgrade package for the GT just like the Judge was for the GTO.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:35 PM
MR_Q
1st Gear Member

I think in the brochure they called it an "engine turned" dash. Im not sure what the the politically correct term for it is, though. I didnt know the goats had that as well as the T/A??? Thats something I probably should have known before now. Was it stock? Perhaps Im not as knowledgeable on old muscle as I might have hoped, lol
Old 10-24-2009, 07:47 PM
crescent_wrench
2nd Gear Member

Bullitts are extremely cool. Period. Dash, seats, steering wheel, pedals, shifter, H-pipe are all cool. DHG is an amazing color. Wish I had one in my garage.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:50 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

i would not get one personaly, i like to mod too much.90% of what they come with i would be replacing.

since it is a numbered car, if you alter it in any way,it will loose it value quicker,even just by driving it and adding miles.

if i owned a garage to store it in as a collectors car and could afford to just have a car sitting,then maybe,but i bought a plain jane GT just because i knew i would not want to waste money on things that would be coming off any way.

the decision is yours,what do you plan to do with the car? daily driver, modding?

and for who ever said that it may have a gt500 clutch,i find that real hard to beleive because the 2 cars have 2 different transmissions and different size splins, 10 vs 26.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:52 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus
fixed it a little bit

sure you can pick up a GT and mod it out to match a Bullitt. But it will cost you. I'm fairly lazy myself. I'd rather buy it pre-made, and then add other goodies as needed.
yeah.....why do it your self when you can just finance it for 5-7 years,lol.

Quick Reply: 2008 Bullitt . . thoughts?