Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a dealership tune for gears?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 04:21 AM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Default Can a dealership tune for gears?

I want some new gears in the future (right after LCAs which is right after boom tubes which is right after my header install...) but i have no tuner yet. If i have them installed at a dealership can they correct the speedo? Also, will most dealers warranty against whine even if my car is out of the factory warranty?
Old 10-25-2009, 05:21 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Gear Correction - They can...that being said, most Dealerships have a real issue with doing this. I've found those that are willing to do the correction typically charge $100-150 for the priveledge.
Ask them prior to getting the work done. about the only thing you can do.

I personally would hold off 1-2 items on your work list and buy a programmer + custom tunes first thing. then do the correction yourself
Warranty - maybe. again you have to ask. The Factory warranty won't cover it, but the Dealership may have a "Install" warranty where they guarantee their work for a set time/mileage period.
no matter what though, they are responsible for a good job.

GEAR WHINE IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. Any shop who says so is not qualified to do an install and you should run away from.

If you have noise, make them correct the issue.

I personally would only use FRPP gears.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:48 AM
Flatline1980
2nd Gear Member

no local ford shop will do any type of aftermarket install and tune of any kind.. mine suck..
Old 10-25-2009, 08:58 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

my Ford shop around here was willing to do gears and the correction but it was going to be like 700, a local shop did the install for me for $350 and there was some whine, they fixed it free, the whine came back, they let me back there and I rebuilt it with there mechanic, schooled him on how to set berring preload, drives like stock now but with 4.10s

I dint mind the rebuilds cause the shop is a smaller family type shop and the people are very reliable. Make sure you can trust them, make sure they stand behind there work, and even if your not going to do the install yourself, read up on how it is done. My descision to have them install it was based purely on the fact that there were a few tools I would use only once, that cost about the same as what they charged me for the install.

If you did boomtubes, gears + a tuner, then the rest of your mods, you would notice the bigger gains sooner ;-)
Old 10-25-2009, 09:18 AM
macomacus

I had the local ford dealer do my 4.10's - they did an excellent job. They could only tune up to 3.73 gear tho. I had to change it with my hand held when I got home.

Last edited by macomacus; 10-25-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:57 AM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

contrary to a few posts, ford dealers CAN adjust for the gear change; however, most will say that it is illegal because you are essentially screwing with the speedo/and odo.
I had my 4:10's "tuned" at the local dealership. It took five minutes and all was golden.
I have bought many fords from them, and i always get top-notch service.
J
Old 10-25-2009, 12:06 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

I do plan on going with frpp gear. I was going to hold of on a tuner until o get a cai too just so I don't have to buy more tunes but I now remember you simply adjust for gears.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:04 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus
Gear Correction - They can...that being said, most Dealerships have a real issue with doing this. I've found those that are willing to do the correction typically charge $100-150 for the priveledge.
Ask them prior to getting the work done. about the only thing you can do.

I personally would hold off 1-2 items on your work list and buy a programmer + custom tunes first thing. then do the correction yourself
Warranty - maybe. again you have to ask. The Factory warranty won't cover it, but the Dealership may have a "Install" warranty where they guarantee their work for a set time/mileage period.
no matter what though, they are responsible for a good job.

GEAR WHINE IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. Any shop who says so is not qualified to do an install and you should run away from.

If you have noise, make them correct the issue.

I personally would only use FRPP gears.
+1 Especially on the gear whine is not acceptable part. The last shop who re installed my FRPP 3.73's twice because they were whining so loud was a Ford dealer, who said there's nothing wrong, it was done right,....BS! The first shop said the same thing to me also. Let the Ford dealers work on the SUV's and commuter cars, then go support your local (reputable) speed shop!

Like someone said above, I'd get a tune with a CAI 1st, then the gears, and then you're set.

Last edited by JimsGT; 10-27-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:39 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Dealers can tune up to 3.73 as far as i know, most wont though. Unless something has changed 3.90, 4.10 and 4.30 are out of their hands though
Old 10-27-2009, 08:59 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

they can tune for 4.10 gears as well. the F-150 has had them as an option since 2004.

most places don't bother though. they'll just spout some garbage about liability and send you packing