Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone do a tune without CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 10:23 PM
atldave
2nd Gear Member

Default Anyone do a tune without CAI?

Based on my reading of the forums, a CAI that does not require a tune is a waste of money. Most of the gains in a CAI/tune come for the tune and not the CAI. That seems to be especially true with the auto tranny and the V6, which I have. I'd like to ask the question a little differently. I'm wondering about the option of getting a good tune alone, without buying and installing the CAI hardware. There are reasons why some owners might like to go this route: the obvious cost savings, but also it simplifies the process of returning to stock before going to the dealer or an emissions certificate.

The best hard data I can find on this question comes from the dyno charts on the Demolet website (http://www.demolet.com/). Doug at Bamachips ran the dyno on a stock V6, and then a V6 with a Bamachips tune, and finally a Bamachips tune with a Demolet CAI. Here are the numbers:

HP/Torque Stock: 177/199
HP/Torque Tune Only: 188/212
HP/Torque Tune + CAI: 196/219

Here's my calculations: Tune alone would give 57% of the HP and 65% of the torque of the max gains from tune + CAI. Still, that's still gains of 11 HP and 13 torque over stock, which is sizeable. From what I read here, most of the gains aren't in the numbers, but in overall responsiveness and driveability.

So, I'm wondering if anyone here has gotten a quality tune alone, and then later added a CAI and retune. How big was the change over stock with just the tune, and how much difference did the CAI make? Is the tune alone a route you'd recommend to others?

One aside: After lots of razzing from you guys, I finally got rid of my side moldings today. GT front and rear sways get installed this week
Old 10-28-2009, 12:41 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

go for it

you've pretty much already answered your question. on a basically stock motor, tuning gets you some gains (V-6 & V-8), but the real reason for tuning is the throttle response, tranny behaviour, and the tune basically just livens up the whole driving experience.

I'd do it. You can always later on buy a CAI and pay the $50 to get an updated tune
Old 10-28-2009, 07:10 AM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

the "tune" w/o a CAI will give you some gains, but there is a nice improvement when you use a CAI, as noted in your graph.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:44 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

A stand alone tune is definately a better choice for add-on RWHP than a stand alone CAI. Nothing wrong with that. But the additional RWHP that's capable from adding the CAI to a tune is nothing to sneeze at. They're really a good match.

As far as the concern about returning to stock for the dealer, I think too many here need to turn in their man-cards. The car is yours and the dealer has an obligation to provide warranty work. It really burns my britches when I hear how so many owners roll over and play dead the moment they think the dealer will give them a hard time. Please don't let that crap prevent you from getting more bang-for-your-buck from this investment.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:17 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

JMO, the CAI & tune were made for one another on our cars. If you're going to invest in one, I'd go ahead a get the other so you don't have any regrets down the road.

As far as returning the car to stock when going to the dealer, that's really a tough call. I have had sort of a run in with both situations that opened my eyes to what people have said, but that was when I was running a Vortech S/C on my 2005 Mustang GT. I had my engine light come on once, I called the dealer where I bought the car and the moment they heard I added a S/C, they immediately said my car was out of warranty without even researching the issue. How could they have known that the S/C was the cause of the problem when they wouldn't even take the time to look at the car....sounded like an easy way out of helping me. On a side note, I found out that one of my friend's worked in the Ford service deptartment at the dealership right down the road from me and if I ever had to take my car down there, he would take the time to research what was going on and tell me whether or not it was the S/C that was the cause. If it was, he'd tell me that I was responsible, but if it wasn't, he'd tell me that too and fix it under warranty. Worst case, you might just have to find the "right" dealership that understands doing mods to a car isn't always going to cause a problem and be willing to help you out and be honest about things.

On your side not, I can imagine that the car looks really good now that those side moldings are gone!
Old 10-28-2009, 09:38 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

The reality of the situation is that going from a CAI and tune to stock takes all of 20 minutes.... I installed mine in a parking lot.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:53 AM
cavediver
3rd Gear Member

Another thing is that the CAI will give your Mustang a better "performance sound". At least it does on the 4.6 and 5.4 V8's.