Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What to do?
LongTubes
60.53%
Cams
36.84%
Other?
2.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Next Mod..Cams..Longtubes..

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 01:01 PM
Mach
3rd Gear Member

Default Next Mod..Cams..Longtubes..

So I am starting to plan out my next mod. I have Bassani xpipe and axel backs right now. I also have the intercooled V3 vortech kit running 10psi. I am wondering what you guys think. I am wanted a lot more throatier beastly sound to match the look of the car. It sounds great right now but I want more haha. So was just wanting some suggestions, I was leaning towards the kooks longtube xpipe combo. But cams also sound soooooo sick!

I don't know! Thoughts??
Old 11-26-2009, 01:20 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

When you say cams are you referring to hot rods? If so i vote cams. Since you are already supercharged, i dont think your looking for more power since you already have an intercooled V3 which gets you all the power you want by simply upping your boost.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:45 PM
usc49erfan
2nd Gear Member

i would say cams, for your two options, nothing sounds better than a nice "lope" sound, other than that, i don't know if you have them but gears are a lot of fun and a lot less hassle then headers or cams
Old 11-27-2009, 03:56 AM
Mach
3rd Gear Member

Can you guys recommend some cams? I don't know much about them besides that they sound pretty sweet! Such as best in sound, what the numbers will look like, what to expect, etc.

So no one out there for headers??
Old 11-27-2009, 05:31 AM
moburto07GT
2nd Gear Member

Well i would say do cams and headers at the same time. As far as what cams to go with, what are you looking for sound, performance, or both??? If you want sound and decent horsepower gains go with the Comp Stage 2 Thumpers, or the FRPP Hot Rods. If you want decent horsepower gains with only a slight change in idle roughness then go with the Comp XFI NSR Stage 2 cams. If you want sound and performance i would suggest going with the Comp Cams SPR Stage 3, there will be a lot more needed to make these work but they sound amazing to me and give some damn good gains. The farther you get away from the NSR style cams the more expensive the install will be if you are unable to do it yourself, as well as the cost of the cams and parts needed for them to work correctly. I would also suggest going with a custom blower cam since you have a supercharger. Contact the guys and Brenspeed and they will be able to give you better details than i can. They are the ones i talked to about my setup and i am VERY happy with it. I dont have the most performance gains out of headers and cams setups but the car has retained its DD ability and i can always go with more radical cams in the future if i decide to (probably after i get another DD in a couple years). And i am VERY happy with gains and the sound, and honestly that is all that matters.

First video is cold start no revs (for some reason the video got cut off by 15 seconds )
http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv286/moburto07gt/th_PB150163.jpg

Second video car is warm, idle with revs (sorry it got dark faster than i thought it would)
http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv286/moburto07gt/th_PB150164.jpg

Last edited by moburto07GT; 11-27-2009 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Added cold start idle video and warm idle video with revs
Old 11-27-2009, 07:01 AM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

What gears do you have?

If you have 3.31s or 3.55s then you might want to consider getting gears and the cams... I would be hesitant to do just cams given the centri supercharger you already have. You'll have a rather weak low end and will need to compensate with some 3.73s or 4.10s.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:38 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Definately cams and LT's. With being aspirated, you'll simply get that much more from them AND get the additional sound.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:31 PM
Mach
3rd Gear Member

I think at this point I am definitely looking for more sound than performance. I would prefer not to mess with gears because I do a ton of high way driving. Is there such a thing as cams that wont kill the low end? I don't know much about them sorry! :/

Do cams make the overall sound louder? Or just add the lope to it?
Old 11-27-2009, 03:17 PM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mach
I think at this point I am definitely looking for more sound than performance. I would prefer not to mess with gears because I do a ton of high way driving. Is there such a thing as cams that wont kill the low end? I don't know much about them sorry! :/

Do cams make the overall sound louder? Or just add the lope to it?
Cams or gears, both are going to negatively affect your mileage though some will argue to what extent. If you're reasonably sane, it shouldn't be too bad.

That being said, I don't think there are any set of cams that are biased towards low rpm. I talked to Brenspeed and my local speed shop and both said if I get cams that I pretty much should consider 3.73s as a necessity.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:44 PM
Mach
3rd Gear Member

I have stock gearing so 3.55s I believe. So if I go the cams route plan on doing the 3.73s at least otherwise the low end will kill me?

So then that leads me to thinking going the header/midpipe route. I am definitely just wanting to get a better, louder, more beastly sound. I have the power, now just want a better sound to match.