Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What to do?
LongTubes
60.53%
Cams
36.84%
Other?
2.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Next Mod..Cams..Longtubes..

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 09:47 PM
Mach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Steve O Chap
I think that comes down to the mid-pipe and mufflers more than anything... I don't think Kooks will sound much different than ARH headers.
So lets say I go with Kooks catted-h..then the real question comes down to keeping the bassani mufflers or getting new ones, because those are ultimately going to have the biggest impact on the sound?
Old 12-03-2009, 09:28 AM
GeritGoul
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mach
So lets say I go with Kooks catted-h..then the real question comes down to keeping the bassani mufflers or getting new ones, because those are ultimately going to have the biggest impact on the sound?
stick with em until you hear it...dont buy anything else until you KNOW you should..i thought the SLPs would sound like *** with my set up but it ended up being the meanest soundin stang IMO lol
Old 12-03-2009, 05:38 PM
mike castaldo
2nd Gear Member

WHY H PIPE AND NOT X.. you dont like more power.. even if its 10 hp more..
Old 12-03-2009, 09:55 PM
Mach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mike castaldo
True true, but I already have a ton of power and it's enough for me, if the x-pipe of kooks still sounds great thats fine by me, I am more interested in the sound of it at this point.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:31 PM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mike castaldo
I don't buy the 10hp increase between an X and H pipe... I've never seen any dyno graphs to prove it. I agree the X might flow a little better, but 10hp?

I'd go with the H simply for the sound... X pipes sound to raspy to me, I don't like it.

But Mach, assuming you get long tubes, yes your mufflers and mid-pipe are going to really determine how your car will sound. H is deeper, more baritone while X is typically more raspy sounding.

Now shorties will sound different than long tubes... but between long tubes there shouldn't be too much in sound difference.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:15 PM
Mach
3rd Gear Member

Interesting, I thought the LT's would have more of an impact on how the sound turned out.

So if I go with the kooks package, its basically going to be up to the mufflers on what it will really sound like.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:10 PM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

Interesting, I thought the LT's would have more of an impact on how the sound turned out.

So if I go with the kooks package, its basically going to be up to the mufflers on what it will really sound like.
I don't think we're on the same page here... if you go with long tubes, there really isn't going to be that much of a sound difference between the different manufacturers.

ARH, Kooks, Bassanni, JBA... assuming you have the same type of mid-pipe and muffler combo they will all sound pretty similar.