Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SJB + water

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 11:05 PM
doode
3rd Gear Member

Red face SJB + water

So I will probably get flamed to hell for posting this, but it is just a thought.

My friend asked me why I only insure my car for the summer and why I rarely drive it when it rains and I told him how I once had a water leak and never really trust my car.

I told him how the SJB can get wet and wreak havoc on my car.

My friend knows that I have done a lot of ghetto mods and repairs on my past cars and knows duct tape is my best friend.

He then asks me why I haven't taped a garbage bag around the SJB using duct tape to help keep it dry.

I then thought....hey, why didn't I ever think of that.

Yes, if the water leaks in the carpet will get wet, but if the SJB stays dry and keeps the electrical gremlins at bay, it can't be all that bad can it ?

**Puts on flame suit and runs **
Old 01-20-2010, 11:12 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Although I don't believe you can wrap the SJB adequately or if its even feasible, you have me wondering if some type of a non-conducting protective spray would be of any benefit. Of course, that would only be a bandaid and you'd still have other water related issues like mold, rust...
Old 01-21-2010, 07:15 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

So you aren't worried about the mildew smell that will eventually start filling your cabin with the foul aroma? Not to mention the rust that will happen under the carpets once moisture starts to collect.
If you know your car has issues, then by all means use the search forum and find a solution. Don't ignore the signs or they will become more of a problem to fix.

No flames here.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:36 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Electronics create heat. wrapping them in plastic when they arent designed for it will hold in that heat causing them to "meltdown" create the similar problems as if it was just wet. Bandaids should be only used for a quick fix until you can properly fix the problem.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:02 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

The plastic bag will trap the moisture in the air unless you evacuate
it with a vacuum and replace the air with dry nitrogen.
The trapped moisture will condensate on the SJBs electronics and
you will have a non-functional SJB soon enough.

Then there is the mold factor.
Just fix the problem, not band-aid the results of the leak (water).
Old 01-21-2010, 10:22 PM
doode
3rd Gear Member

Well the last time it leaked was about 2 years ago.

It has since been fixed, but i never fully trust it.

Everytime it pours, I always check the carpet and thankfully it comes up dry. I'm just paranoid.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:26 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Why do you think that white piece of foam is stuck over the top of the SJB? Seems like Ford tried to do the same thing (of sorts). By the way, that particularly annoys me because it indicates IMO that Ford knew that something was up and tried to put a band-aid on it before it even left the factory.

I understand your paranoia completely. My 08 has never leaked, but every couple of months I get into a mode where if it's raining super hard and I've been driving around, I just have to go feel around and make sure it's dry. There were just way too many times that I was assured that my 06 was fixed, but my own inspections were telling a different story.

Just remember: you probably bought the car to enjoy; not park it because you don't trust it. I would suggest trying hard to ease up on that paranoia and enjoy the car, or one day you'll wake up and realize you wasted all that potential enjoyment