Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Tints and cops

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 05:59 PM
budders
4th Gear Member

From what I understand if you enter another state, you must obied by all their laws.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:15 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Just bought my car from a dealership in VA, but I live in MD. It's definitly illegal for both states, but I don't know what the % is. I'm guessing 20. The inspection stations in my area will fail you for anything, so you pretty much have to bribe them if you want to get your car to pass. Then gonna bide my time and hope for the best!
Old 01-29-2010, 06:37 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

As I stated in an earlier post VA will enforce their laws on out of state cars. I got a ticket, I was also warned, and let on my way due to being in the Coast Guard another time. I know MANY people from here,( just across the border from VA)that have also got tickets. This link will confirm that some states do enforce their laws on out of state vehicles.

http://home.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/

Last edited by americaniron; 01-29-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:05 PM
MstngShelbyGT07

I am in the military and travel all over the country. When I was temporarily stationed in California for a school, there was a State Trooper who came to talk to our class about CA motoring laws. One of the topics he discussed was window tinting. He said even if you have a vehicle registered out of state with out of state tags, window tinting on the sides is illegal regardless of your state residency and you will receive a violation for it.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:18 PM
02mgstang

Question and answer from another forum...Just thought you would be interested:

Question:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can you get pulled over for non legal tint if you are out of state? I highly doubt you can get a ticket for non legal tint if you aren't in the state your car is registered in??

The reply:
Of course you can get a ticket for illegal tint in a state even if you are from another state and that level of tint is legal in your home state . Had a friend that had that happen more than a few times . He had a SC tag and tint that was legal in SC but too dark for NC law . They used to pull him over all the time and ticket him . The judge told him he could care less what the rules were in SC so if he was going to drive the car in NC he had better make sure it complied with NC law .

Just as you can be ticketed for having studded tires in states that ban them , even when they're perfectly legal in your home state . That is one you have to watch out for in the winter time if you travel like I do from state to state .

Question back: That really sucks so your legal in your state drive to a relatives in another state and get a ticket. Will your home state DMV sanction you if you ignore the state issuing you the ticket?

Reply:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Probably not. To do so would involve extradition, which for a misdemeanor traffic violation would be a farce.

However, get pulled over in that ticketing state again, and you are looking at a bench warrant for your arrest. If the officer was having a bad day, worst case is you might then be looking at being cuffed and hauled into jail, and having your car towed and impounded. Lots of bucks would add up quickly (paying the fines, contempt charge, towing, impound, and storage fees, not to mention having your car interior disturbed and possibly destroyed if they decide to 'search' your car since it is there). Best case is you would be invited to follow the cop into town right then and try to explain to a less than sympathetic judge why you didn't bother to show up previously.

So, that's the risk. If you won't ever go into that state again for at least 7 years (statute of limitations), then possibly you'll be OK to ignore it.

Then again, police with a bad attitude love to harass basically law abiding citizens because they are such easy pickings. Add budget troubles into the mix, and you aren't looking at a fun time in most jurisdictions these days.

And no, I don't know this from personal experience, but you have never seen a warrant issued so quickly as when someone doesn't show up for a court date. Even a mere arraignment in traffic court.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:11 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN PENNSYLVANIA?
Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In Pennsylvania, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.
• WindshieldNo tint is allowed on the windshield.
• Front Side WindowsMust allow more than 70% of light in.
• Back Side WindowsMust allow more than 70% of light in.
• Rear WindowMust allow more than 70% of light in.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN PENNSYLVANIA?
Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.
• Front Side WindowsNo metallic or mirrored appearance.
• Back Side WindowsNo metallic or mirrored appearance. OTHER PENNSYLVANIA RULES AND REGULATIONS• Restricted ColorsNo colors of tint are explicitly banned.
• Side MirrorsDual side mirrors are required if back window is tinted.
• Certificate RequirementsManufacturers of film do NOT need to certify the film they sell in the state.
• Sticker Requirements
• Medical ExemptionState allows medical exemptions for special tint. For more details about the specific terms of the exemption, consult your state law.

I would fight the ticket. I wouldnt be a dick in court and act like they owe you, but I would contest that it is a issue for your states registration, and bring a copy of your states law. For example, if you were in your state, they could issue you a fix it ticket. The other state can not because they dont control your registration or inspection. Still if your a dick in court you can be screwed in that state. You dont want to turn it into a jurisdictional battle while you are standing in that states court.

Last edited by JDWalton; 01-29-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:28 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz
I'm looking for the link, but can't find it now. I researched this when I first tinted my car (I live in PA). You can be ticketed in any state irregardless of where your car is registered.

It's no different than any other law when you think about it. Speeding, running a red light, running a stop sign. The law is the law in that particular state, and living outside of a state does not allow for breaking of the law.

If I can find the link I'll post it, but yes you can get a ticket out of state for window tint.
That is absurd and complete tardeness to give tickets for tint when you are a visitor. They expect you to rip off your tints when you go driving across the border? What a way to milk the cash cow.

Speeding, running a red light, etc are all spur of the moment actions, it's not like i just grabbed a can of tint and sprayed it on as I was driving.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:20 PM
bm2088hp
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by alkemist
That is absurd and complete tardeness to give tickets for tint when you are a visitor. They expect you to rip off your tints when you go driving across the border? What a way to milk the cash cow.

Speeding, running a red light, etc are all spur of the moment actions, it's not like i just grabbed a can of tint and sprayed it on as I was driving.
Right, I was thinking the same thing. There are laws that are universal, such as speeding, not stopping at a stop sign, etc. and there are laws that vary from state to state, such as having a license plates in front and back or just back. Having tinted windows will probably be a good excuse for the cops to pull me over but not necessarily give me a ticket for that. Im a very safe and cautious driver and have never in my life gotten pulled over so I guess Ill take my chances. Rolling down the windows when approaching a cop car like others said will probably help. Now I have to decide whether to get 20% or 35% tints lol Thanks for all your help!
Old 01-29-2010, 10:49 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

if you go what is legal where your registered, you have a leg to stand on. If you dont at least do that, your asking for what you get. (not trying to be a jerk, I know that sounds harsh, just saying thats how it is.)
Old 01-29-2010, 10:55 PM
bm2088hp
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JDWalton
if you go what is legal where your registered, you have a leg to stand on. If you dont at least do that, your asking for what you get. (not trying to be a jerk, I know that sounds harsh, just saying thats how it is.)
Yeah I know what you mean. Both NY and PA require 70% of light to go through so I would be in trouble regardless. I guess if I get pulled over in NY ill try to talk my way out of it and BS that the car is registered in PA lol... worst case scenario ill just pay the ticket if I do get one. I think its $50 if Im not mistaken. But until then Ill keep my fingers crossed.

Quick Reply: Window Tints and cops