Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clyinder missfire?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Black_N_Blown
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05stangguy
Yep, I have gotten the start up missfire as well. Although I don't throw a check engine light, I just had it hooked up at a speed shop around here, and they told me I had missfire on start up, so i was kinda worried about it. so you said it DOES stay in the same cylinder regardless?
Yes, It DOES stay in the same cylinder, Mine is cylinder 5 that I have my problem with

And also you might already know this, but an easy way to see if you have a vacuum leak somewhere is to just spray the connections of your hoses and what not with starter fluid. Wile the car is running, and if the RPMs jump theres a leak there. Just watch out for the altinator, as it might catch fire. Just another thing too try.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:52 PM
05stangguy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Black_N_Blown
Yes, It DOES stay in the same cylinder, Mine is cylinder 5 that I have my problem with

And also you might already know this, but an easy way to see if you have a vacuum leak somewhere is to just spray the connections of your hoses and what not with starter fluid. Wile the car is running, and if the RPMs jump theres a leak there. Just watch out for the altinator, as it might catch fire. Just another thing too try.

Thanks black n blown...Good to know someone has some of the same symptoms. I am honestly just worried I am going to get it to the tuner and hes gonna say, you have no compression in cylinder number 8, you need a rebuild...Haha! I don't think thats whats going to happen, but I just got the car! haha.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:16 PM
Black_N_Blown
1st Gear Member

Thanks black n blown...Good to know someone has some of the same symptoms. I am honestly just worried I am going to get it to the tuner and hes gonna say, you have no compression in cylinder number 8, you need a rebuild...Haha! I don't think thats whats going to happen, but I just got the car! haha.
Yeah I know what you mean, It seems like everyone I talk too has never had the problem I'm / you are having, so it makes it very frustrating. Well If its not misfiring the whole time you are driving I would say that its not as big of an problem as no compression.

I just pulled my plug and right now i'm gapped at .020 and that would be the last thing KB had told me to gap it too. So I'm sure you would be safe going down to .020 to see if that helps you out, because I know that is part of what made me go from misfiring a few times a week, to once a month or not at all.

Another thing you can try is move your injector to the cylinder next to it and see if the problem moves. all you can do is keep trying these little things. I thought taking mine too a good mustang shop was going to solve all my problems but all I got from them was " Well I dont know what to tell you, cause I cant find anything wrong"

So hang in there you'll get it figured out, or atlest get it too a point where its not as bad..
Old 03-16-2010, 02:32 PM
05stangguy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Black_N_Blown
Yeah I know what you mean, It seems like everyone I talk too has never had the problem I'm / you are having, so it makes it very frustrating. Well If its not misfiring the whole time you are driving I would say that its not as big of an problem as no compression.

I just pulled my plug and right now i'm gapped at .020 and that would be the last thing KB had told me to gap it too. So I'm sure you would be safe going down to .020 to see if that helps you out, because I know that is part of what made me go from misfiring a few times a week, to once a month or not at all.

Another thing you can try is move your injector to the cylinder next to it and see if the problem moves. all you can do is keep trying these little things. I thought taking mine too a good mustang shop was going to solve all my problems but all I got from them was " Well I dont know what to tell you, cause I cant find anything wrong"

So hang in there you'll get it figured out, or atlest get it too a point where its not as bad..

Black n Blown, if my CEL was on, and then turns off the next day ( I guess according to the OBD-II 3 driving cycles?), does that mean I am in the clear and it is no longer missfiring? I had the shop clear the code 3 days ago, and it has not come back on since..
Old 03-16-2010, 03:11 PM
Black_N_Blown
1st Gear Member

Black n Blown, if my CEL was on, and then turns off the next day ( I guess according to the OBD-II 3 driving cycles?), does that mean I am in the clear and it is no longer missfiring? I had the shop clear the code 3 days ago, and it has not come back on since..
Well after you misfire the light will stay on for a few days or tell you turn it off. But it does not mean you are misfiring the whole time the light is on, it just means you did at one point. But when you are misfiring the light will be blinking and that when you pull over and shut her off for a second.

Does that make since to you? I'm not always the best at explaining things