Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard shift + Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 07:35 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by howarmat
by chance is the traction control kicking in?
Same thing I was thinking. Try it with your TCS off, see if its the same. The TCS system is not great on our cars, you dont nessiscarly have to be slipping to have the TCS kick in.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:47 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I wonder if doing the throttle reset procedure would help at all. I can't see where it would hurt to try.

Norm
Old 03-24-2010, 07:53 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

I'll try with the TCS off first and experiment, see what happens hehe.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:15 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

just make sure your going straight when you do it. Wouldnt want to feel responsible if you flew off the highway....
Old 03-24-2010, 09:16 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Ummm thanks lol
Old 03-24-2010, 10:30 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

My manual 05 GT never experiences any hesitation when I d/s before accelerating. I wonder if manually d/s an auto GT would be beneficial in this situation?
Old 03-24-2010, 10:44 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I noticed that when my car was stock besides wheel/tire switch.
It is the traction control on mine.
Push the TCS off... no more hesitation. I just think of it as a reminder that the TCS is keeping everything safe for the everyday driving. No big deal. If I want to let her loose I know that doing so means being aware of what turning the TCS off does.

I am putting in a CAI and tune from Brenspeed this weekend and I am sure it will probably just increase it because of the increase in power/torque.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:16 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

I mean, really, traction control should be a saftey feature only, why does the engine need to brake if I want to accelerate? Just sounds backwards, especially when there was no slip involved.

Gonna experiment anyways.. See what it feels like. Hopefully I won't go flying off the highway
Old 03-24-2010, 11:18 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by iluvmycar
I just think of it as a reminder that the TCS is keeping everything safe for the everyday driving. No big deal. If I want to let her loose I know that doing so means being aware of what turning the TCS off does.
Sorry, but it seems that you're well on the way to being brainwashed into believing that the responsibility for your safety is something that can be done for you. Everyday driving safety rests with you, not some electronic bits and a few thousand lines of software code.

TCS can help you under some conditions, but the flip side is that it won't get you around corners any better or stop you any quicker once you've got it going. And relying on it in your daily driving will ultimately let you get a bit sloppy as it covers for small driving errors on your part and gets in the way of you ever developing much "feel" for how much (or how little) traction exists.

I'm not picking on you personally, so don't take this as flame. It's just that I honestly feel that every driver needs to know how to drive their car(s) without intervention based on what somebody else thinks the car should be permitted or directed to do. TCS ALWAYS gets switched off in my Mustang, and as I drive my wife's brand-new car from time to time, its stability control will get shut off, too.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 03-24-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:09 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

^ I have to agree with that. I learned to drive before all this electronic controls, even before ABS became standarized. I depended on my own skill and judgement to get from point A to B. I'm still not used to ABS and I only had it ever go off once in someone elses car.

That second of hesitation when I needed the power could of turned into a bad situation. I have the skill to drive to do the quick lane change, just the car nearly couldn't handle what I wanted it to do because Ford says so.

Quick Reply: Hard shift + Hesitation