Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard shift + Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 07:56 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Default Hard shift + Hesitation

Been running my Brenspeed 87 tune. I love it, except just very recently (today and yesterday) I have been driving a little bit harder.

Say I need to step on the throttle hard to make a quick lane change, the gear will shift firmly right into engine hesitation, which in turn makes the car jerk and stumble for that split second even to the point where I got pushed backwards into the seat. Is that normal behavior with an automatic? Seems almost like a double whammy.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:40 PM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

I've had that happen before...not exactly sure what it is....maybe an improper pinion angle?
Old 03-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Dame83
1st Gear Member

Happens to me sometimes too. Im running a bamachips 93 performance tune. You should notice that hesitation with or without the tune but I think the jerk is worse because of the tune and the added power the comes along with it. Its scary at times because you don't know what the car is going do. The worse for me on time was trying to make a left turn at a light, I tapped the gas petal, nothin happened, pressed a little harder, chirped the wheels, thought i was gonna spin out!
Old 03-23-2010, 09:04 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

yeah, I needed to jump out of the lane I was in and that slight stall was not something that helped.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:06 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

by chance is the traction control kicking in?
Old 03-23-2010, 09:09 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

I think what happened was it shifted gear (firm) then straight into the hesitation. I do not believe there was any slip involved. The ground surface was moist, but it almost virtually did the same thing today with dry pavement.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:57 PM
kenny17
2nd Gear Member

happens to me too, never thought anything of it though I figured it was just the tune
Old 03-24-2010, 06:10 AM
Dame83
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by howarmat
by chance is the traction control kicking in?
No traction control kick in. Its just something that happens. I actually emailed Doug when he was back at bamachips to see if there was a way to tweak the tune to get rid of that hesitation.Didnt get a response then but I will try again with him now that he is with AM cause they sent me a free tune for life email.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:27 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

From what I was told by a couple people in my club, no one has been able to get rid of that hesitation. I just found it a bit hard to shift right into that hesitation, so it feels almost like a double stall instead of just feeling the hesitation. Well, I suppose I'm not the only one then. just finding out all the little things now that it's warm hehe.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:03 AM
Dame83
1st Gear Member

figured there was no real way to get rid of it. I learned to drive with it tho. Sometimes just driving a little slower helps. I notice that if you are driving fast, come to a complete stop, then try to jump lanes or make a turn, the hesitation happens. Also coming off the highway it happens. Guess its one of the joys of being a mustang owner.

Quick Reply: Hard shift + Hesitation