Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S/D Strut Tower Brace

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 02:00 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default S/D Strut Tower Brace

Having a puzzling problem. I bought a Strut Tower Brace from Strange Development a couple of years ago. I installed it on my '06 GT 'vert, it went right on - piece of cake.
I recently removed it and installed new Koni STR.T struts, followed by an alignment. Following the alignment, I tried to re-install the brace and it's like the studs on the towers are just a little too far appart. It's not much, but I lack about 1/2 stud diameter of being able to re-install the brace. I could oval the mounting holes in the strut brace mouning pads, but I wonder if that is the right thing to do. It won't go on now. Anybody seen tuis, or have any ideas? I can't find any way of contacting Strange Development either by phone or on line.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:25 PM
Blue GT Mustang
2nd Gear Member

I'm not sure about your problem, but I also bought one from Strange Development about three years ago on EBAY. It was a good buy at the time I thought, and the only one that would fit over my Midwest Auto Gear plenum cover. When it arrived it was about 1/8" short of dropping right on the studs perfectly. When I called them they told me to just loosen all four studs and move the front wheels in and out until it dropped on. To confirm my suspicions, I contacted the service dept of the dealer where I bought my car and found out these studs are part of the adjustments for the front end alignment. I told this to Strange and said I would be returning the item for credit. They reluctantly agreed to make one the proper length and issue a call tag for UPS to pick up the old one. The new one fit perfectly, but with only 9K on an '06 GT I have never had an alignment. I wonder if I will have any problems when I do? I had their site bookmarked, but it says under construction when I tried to go there a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited by Blue GT Mustang; 04-12-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blue GT Mustang
I'm not sure about your problem, but I also bought one from Strange Development about three years ago on EBAY. It was a good buy at the time I thought, and the only one that would fit over my Midwest Auto Gear plenum cover. When it arrived it was about 1/8" short of dropping right on the studs perfectly. When I called them they told me to just loosen all four studs and move the front wheels in and out until it dropped on. To confirm my suspicions, I contacted the service dept of the dealer where I bought my car and found out these studs are part of the adjustments for the front end alignment. I told this to Strange and said I would be returning the item for credit. They reluctantly agreed to make one the proper length and issue a call tag for UPS to pick up the old one. The new one fit perfectly, but with only 9K on an '06 GT I have never had an alignment. I wonder if I will have any problems when I do? I had their site bookmarked, but it says under construction when I tried to go there a couple of weeks ago.
Exactly what I thought. I, too, found their site "Under Construction". I would rather open up the holes slightly rather than disturb the expensive alignment I just got.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:02 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

my steeda one fit right on now im about to install springs and struts and i wonder if ill have this issue as well
Old 04-12-2010, 04:42 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
Exactly what I thought. I, too, found their site "Under Construction". I would rather open up the holes slightly rather than disturb the expensive alignment I just got.

Thats what I would do too. Just take a dremel and elongate the mounting hole. Go get a new locking nut too. The kind with the teeth in the bottom.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:35 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Got out the Dremel, 10 minutes later, all is well.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:34 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

nice, congrats!