Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do we mod?

Old 04-15-2010, 01:34 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

I don't feel the need to vindicate my reasons for modding my car to anybody. If somebody asks me why I do it I side step the question largely because, if they've asked the question they sure as **** ain't gonna understand the answer anyway, so why waste my breath.

I never have to explain or make excuses to my wife about spending money or time on the car either. I've always been into cars and my wife knew that on Day #1. She doesn't really understand a lot of the modding I do but she doesn't care.

Harsh maybe, but I don't have an ounce of pity for any guy that has to be sneaky to his wife about having a hobby, whatever it may be. Advice for guys that do have trouble with their women?? Grow a sack !!
Old 04-15-2010, 01:42 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

I mod my car because I can't improve myself as easily as I can an object. It's an internal struggle playing out externally. In this example, my car.

My fear of death is also expressed on my car because I'm constantly trying to keep it in perfect shape and stop it from aging. Just another way of fighting my eventual death.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:47 PM
SpookyStang

My explanation as to why I mod is because I like to stand out and make things mine. I like to customize my things to make them be as individual as I am. Individuality is a big deal to me.

If I wanted my Mustang to look/sound/be like every other on the road and I was perfectly fine with it, I'd leave it alone. But, I don't want that. There were things I wanted to change about the car to fit my vision of what it should be like. So, I changed those things. Now, when someone sees my car, they know it is mine. They know there is something special about it because it doesn't look like every other Mustang around here.

Also, because it is my money, my car, my time and I will do what I please with all those things. If other people don't like it, that is not my problem.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:01 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SpookyStang
My explanation as to why I mod is because I like to stand out and make things mine. I like to customize my things to make them be as individual as I am. Individuality is a big deal to me.
A Mustang is a very poor choice when considering individuality. They all look pretty much the same, there's a million of them, and the aftermarket for "looks" is pretty redundant.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:15 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

Also this hobby brings all people of different races and backgrounds together. Because we all share the same passion.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:35 PM
SpookyStang

Originally Posted by replica
A Mustang is a very poor choice when considering individuality. They all look pretty much the same, there's a million of them, and the aftermarket for "looks" is pretty redundant.
I am highly aware of that, but thanks for stating the obvious, anyway. I was expecting someone to say something about that. I don't think it was all that difficult to discern what I meant from my post. Of course I know that Mustangs are common cars, but if you lived in my area, you'd know precisely what I mean. I have never seen a Mustang that looks quite like mine around here.

After all, it's not every day you see a clean, modded black Mustang with a shine worthy of heaven itself, a flash of red seats peeking through the windows, and a bad-*** chick in the driver's seat going down the road... a chick that has put her heart and soul into that car.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:38 PM
VRFlip
2nd Gear Member

How much money has your mother and sister spent on clothes that go out of style a year later? How about make up? What about all the other stuff they enjoy that isn't free?

I suggest you mention to them that your car is not expected or intended to be an investment, or an asset. If they cannot understand such a simple yet accurate explanation complete with comparisons to their habits, I further suggest you command them to retreat to the kitchen, and make you a sandwich.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:40 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

Lol, I wasn't trying to bring you down or anything. It's just hard to make S197's look different.

There's only like 3 different front ends to choose from, most of which are from different OEM trim levels, most wheel designs are a derivative from just a few main styles. There are only a few wings and deck lids to choose from and so on. I lose my car at Mustang meets and have to hit my keyless entry to find the damn thing.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:49 PM
akiba17
Not 100% a dick

Top 2 answers
Why not.
Stock sucks.
Or fight dirty and tell her her shoes are out of season.
Oh and all my friends drive imports so I do stand out in a Mustang.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:58 PM
sdsguy
3rd Gear Member

my parents asked me the same thing when i got tints, CAI and tune, and exhaust (relatively mild mods in comparison) and i told them that Rebecca is the one pleasure i have in life and i want these mods to enjoy my time in the car even more so. my parents knew my car was my escape from the stresses of school, work, family and all else that occurs in life, so making my car my one get away was acceptable since i don't blow money on anything else.

i think mapitts put it perfectly, women spend their money on new shoes, outfits, make up, purses, and other things that they'll use once or twice. for us, it's the same but we get more pleasure out of it because it's going to be something we use day in and day out. if we were looking for an investment or a car that has a strong resale value, we would have gotten BMW's, Audi's, Mercs, or other high end cars (face it, the amount we spend modding equals those cars) but none of these cars have the same personality as our Mustangs, and we express our own personalities through our Mustangs.

Last edited by sdsguy; 04-15-2010 at 04:02 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why do we mod?