Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Movement, shifting problems with HURST

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 06:40 PM
eslhockey92g
2nd Gear Member

Default Movement, shifting problems with HURST

Ive had my hurst shifter for about year and no problems at all. The once in a blue moon rattle but i oil the shifter every time i change the motor oil so i never have an issue.

I recently notice the shifter moving while the car goes over bumps more than normal. I know it moves some but it really moves almost the distance from a gear to N but only over a good size bump or one of those dips in the road while your doing like 40-50 on that put you in th seat for a sec. it moves front to back, not side to side. But it stays in gear no problems. But it started to feel like it would fight me going in to gear. Like the tranny wasnt meshing well and would kind of go half in gear and was very soft when engaging the gear.

Now when i hit the bottom gears 2nd and 4th i hear/feel something hitting the car like its loose. Its up behind the radio on the floor board. It will do it normal driving, kind of fast and even sitting at a light.

When i put it in a used loctite and tourque everything real good. I wasnt able to get under the car, my jack wont fit but i pulled the boot and isolator and grabed the frame of the shifter and it was solid. Im gonna get under it this weekend i gotta get some wood so the jack will fit under it.

Any one ever run in to this. I found an old thread but no resolution. I thought the movment would have been from the motor/tranny mounts getting soft but something is deff not right now. Yet it still shifts fine and stays in gear.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:39 PM
atomicpunk
1st Gear Member

Check the transmission to shifter bolt, sounds like it's loose. The one thats a pain in the *** to get in/out right against the trans. tunnel. Had the same problem and found that bolt loose.

Last edited by atomicpunk; 04-15-2010 at 08:44 PM. Reason: speed reading
Old 04-16-2010, 10:10 PM
eslhockey92g
2nd Gear Member

That was it, I got under it this after noon that bolt was all the way backed out and the only thing holding it in was that the bushing came out with it and it was hitting the tranny tunnel. Tightend it back up with loctite and the shifter felt brand new again. Solid shifts no movement at all. Its was a little scary seeing that. Everything was tourqed well and loctite was used, but its better now. Thanks.