Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheelhop?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 10:49 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Default Wheelhop?

Is wheelhopping when it feels like the rear suspension is jackhammering up and down real hard under acceleration? I get that pretty bad sometimes and would like to plant the rear firmly on the ground, instead of having it seem like my car is about ready for lift-off. Is that simply a new set of LCA's, or how much else is involved?
Old 05-03-2010, 10:58 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

A set of LCA's and a UCA normally resolves at least 90% of the problem.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:17 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Start with the LCAs, because they're a LOT easier to install. If they're enough to solve your problem, you're done at least for the time being.

If not, or if you add more power or do some other change that brings the hop back, you still have the UCA option, as well as LCA relocating brackets.

Norm
Old 05-03-2010, 11:53 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Sounds good! Are the LCA's a simple bolt in, or will it need aligned, springs compressed, etc?
Old 05-03-2010, 12:02 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

They are cake to install. You'll need a floor jack, couple jack stands, a breaker bar, the right socket(s), and ideally a torque wrench for tightening the fasteners back down to 129 ft. lb. spec. If you re-use the factory fasteners it wouldn't hurt to put some fresh loctite back on them.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:13 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
They are cake to install. You'll need a floor jack, couple jack stands, a breaker bar, the right socket(s), and ideally a torque wrench for tightening the fasteners back down to 129 ft. lb. spec. If you re-use the factory fasteners it wouldn't hurt to put some fresh loctite back on them.
Thanks man, that's ideally what I needed to know.

My father owns a general maintanence shop, so I have plenty of tools, car-lifts, and help
Old 05-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Lupo222
2nd Gear Member

Location: Camp Lejeune, North Carolina and Fort Lauderdale, Florida

They have the LCAs and then the LCAs with the relocating bracket...whats the difference?

Is it necessary to have the relocating brackets to help eliminate the wheelhop?? Whats the benefit of the relocation bracket?
Old 05-03-2010, 01:59 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

The brackets are usually only necessary if your car is lowered. Leastways from what I've read.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Relo brackets change the rear geometry by moving the instant center. It may not be necessary to use them if you only have a mild case of traction issues, though I can see why a parts supplier might decide to bundle the two items (LCAs & brackets) up as a kit.

I normally look for the least complicated remedy, and if it solves the problem you haven't bought things that you don't really need and might not ever install.

Keep in mind that relo brackets for these cars is primarily a dragstrip mod, and the usual setting of the LCA holes - significantly lower than stock for more anti-squat (better initial launch "bite") - is generally too low for good handling (tends to make the car a little oversteerish due to rear axle steer effects). Stock ride height cars with relo brackets will be more oversteerish than lowered ones with relo brackets and using the same holes, meaning that relo brackets are probably best left for lowered S197's.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:28 PM
nem
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
The brackets are usually only necessary if your car is lowered. Leastways from what I've read.
this is not true by far. It helps out lowered cars because of changing the geomtry of lowering the car. The LCA brackets change the angle of the LCA's and help keep the wheels planted. A set of LCA's and relocation brackets will help you.

Quick Reply: Wheelhop?