Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Whipple input

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 04:43 PM
Witte 05
1st Gear Member

Default Need Whipple input

I am new to the supercharger thing. I recently purchased a 2007 GT that is equipped with a Ford Racing Whipple. It is the non intercooled version.

1st. I would like to know what PSI pulley I have on it, it states "4.00" on the pulley

2nd. I would like to know what you be involved with added the intercooler...is this something easy to do? It stated on their website it can be upgraded..

3rd. What kind of maintenance do I need to do to it? Does anyone have a manual for one I can download?

4th. I have an SCT...I would like to get a better tune for it...I need suggestions on where to get the tune. I have worked with Brenspeed before for my 2005 GT but don't think they do a lot with the Whipple.

Any help would be great. It has a great sound to it, but I think it should have a little more kick in the pants feel to it!

Last edited by Witte 05; 05-15-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:18 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

There's a few reputable tuners in FL, I'd ask around locally.

The upgrade is called a "Big boost kit". Your best bet would be to call Tousley Ford in MN and get a quote. It involves adding an intercooler, heat exchanger, gt500 fuel pumps, smaller pulley, and associated wiring and plumbing. It's not that big of deal to do, just takes some patience. The kit will also come with an updated tune and pro-cal tool.

The 4" pulley is rated at 5-6lbs but mine made more. All of the Whipple pulleys I've used have made more psi than they were rated for. I believe they were all rated for the gen 1 blower. The gen 2 has an improved rotor profile and generates 1-2 more psi for the same pulley size when compared to the gen 1.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:20 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Here's a link to the big boost kit from frpp: http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=9888
Old 05-15-2010, 08:34 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Witte 05
I am new to the supercharger thing. I recently purchased a 2007 GT that is equipped with a Ford Racing Whipple. It is the non intercooled version.
1st. Rated at 6psi, but likely peaks higher.

2nd. You would have to remove the supercharger, install the intercooler underneath it, install the pump, install the reservoir, install the heat exchanger, install the plumbing, and install the electrical. If you decide to run more boost, you would likely have to install a GT500 fuel system, bigger injectors and a few other odds and ends. It would be an all day job, but very doable for any competent weekend mechanic.

3rd. The whipples are fairly maintenance free. Change the intercooler fluid when needed (probably good for 50K+ miles). Inspect the oil frequently. (The little round glass window at the front of the supercharger. Oil should be halfway up the window when the car is level.) Change oil at 100K miles. I believe Hammeron has a link to the installation manual online. PM him.

4th. Brenspeed has SOME mail order tunes for the whipple. You will have to send them a list of ALL mods and supercharger specs on the car. I ordered a tune from them for the 3.375" pulley (10psi) on a gen 1 whipple, and it was decent. A bit richer than I had hoped for, but I really wanted a baseline tune for my SCT so that my tuner had something to work from. Having said that, since your car is already tuned with an SCT, I'd find a reputable tuner in your area. Are you near Orlando? VMP has a fantastic reputation when it comes to bossted mustangs.

Any help would be great. It has a great sound to it, but I think it should have a little more kick in the pants feel to it!
Hope that's what you were looking for.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:02 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
I believe Hammeron has a link to the installation manual online. PM him.

http://home.comcast.net/~cookpaging/...ls/whipple.pdf