Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

N/A mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 09:19 PM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

It's not hard to get 450+RWHP out of a Whipple S/C just depends on which one you chose and which setup will pass your state inspection.

Whipple HO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fSUE...eature=related

Last I knew Kenne Bell were trying to or have for the most part engineered the whine out of their S/C's. It's a damn shame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FV-EzEsd1U

Last edited by X3xMONGOOSEx3X; 06-02-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:29 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by X3xMONGOOSEx3X
Last I knew Kenne Bell were trying to or have for the most part engineered the whine out of their S/C's. It's a damn shame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FV-EzEsd1U
WHAT, WHY?!?!?

I honestly think that there is no better sound in the world then a Terminator at WOT
Old 06-03-2010, 07:35 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

What's your budget? To keep it a good street car you can still do quite a few things beyond the CAI & tune w/o going FI and keeping the cats.

Nitrous
Cams
LT's w/catted X or H
UDP's
CMDP's
Aluminum DS
Electric water pump
Lose weight (rear seat delete, lighter wheels, no spare, etc)
Gears

Of course, after adding RWHP you'll definitely need to do some suspension work and new rubber to hook-up.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:51 AM
UpTo11
3rd Gear Member

Engine/Induction
-Eagle Stroker Kit
-Ford Racing Intake Manifold
-CNC Ported Heads
-FRPP Hot Rods
-Ford Racing 62mm Billet Throttle Body
-Steeda Cold Air Intake Kit
-Steeda Charge Motion Control Plates
-Roush Underdrive Pulleys

Drivetrain
-Steeda One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft
-Moser 8.8in 31 Spline Axles
-Eaton 8.8 in 31 LSD
-FRPP 4:10 Gears

Transmission
-TCI Streetfighter Torque Converter
-TCI Streetfighter Ratchet Shifter

Exhaust
-Kooks Longtube Headers
-Electronic Exhaust Cutouts
-Kooks Catted X Pipe

Weight
-Battery Relocation

Fuel
-BBK High Flow Aluminum Fuel Rails
-Ford Racing Ev6 80lb Fuel Injectors

Cooling
-Mishimoto Performance Aluminum Mustang Radiator

Brakes
-Brembo GT Front Big Brake Kit - Slotted Rotors

Suspension
-Tokico D-Spec Adjustable Strut & Shock Kit
-Eibach Pro Kit Spring Set
-J&M Mustang 4-Bolt Caster Camber Plates
-Eibach Mustang Anti-Roll Kit
-Steeda Chromoly Steel Lower Control Arms
-Black Mustang Strut Tower Brace
-J&M Mustang Adjustable Panhard Rod

Wheels
-18x10 Rear, 18x9 Front
-Nitto NT555's (255/45-18 Front) (275/40-18 Rear)

Last edited by UpTo11; 06-03-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:59 AM
UpTo11
3rd Gear Member

Just noticed half those mods aren't legal in your state...whatever. Move out of CA?
Old 06-03-2010, 04:24 PM
Quick_SilverGT-06

haha no thanks....and the money is none but were looking for a list of things to do when we do get cash. We were looking at either the Whipple supercharger Twin screw or STS turbo. maybe Heads with small enough cam to pass smog. Coil overs bigger wheels and tires. smog legal shorty headers. either Magnapacks exhaust or stingers
Old 06-03-2010, 04:47 PM
DRock
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Quick_SilverGT-06
haha no thanks....and the money is none but were looking for a list of things to do when we do get cash. We were looking at either the Whipple supercharger Twin screw or STS turbo. maybe Heads with small enough cam to pass smog. Coil overs bigger wheels and tires. smog legal shorty headers. either Magnapacks exhaust or stingers
Im pretty sure that the STS turbo kit wont pass. Heads would be hard to tell if they were factory of not. And if your geting a small cam at that point you dont need heads. Im getting long tubes and am goin to try and pass smog(im keeping the kitties), but then agian i gots friends in the right places. Find a NICE shop that dont know what they are looking at.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:55 PM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

Doesn't CA have a special vehicle law or something that allows you to bypass inspection. I thought I heard of something like that but I'm sure it costs lots of money. I think that's how Leno got his Ariel Atom road legal.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:34 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Quick_SilverGT-06
How willing are you to flirt with what will and won't pass emissions?

To be completely and totally compliant with CARB, your N/A options are CAI with CARB EO (Steeda qualifies), JBA shorty headers are the only headers with CARB EO, UDP's, and an Al driveshaft. Technically, I think even a flash of the computer is a no no to be totally compliant, but we are picking at nits on that point.

Quit thinking about heads unless you are going to build the motor or plan to run it at higher rpm all the time. The torque loss on the low end isn't worth the minimal gain up top on stock displacement. Especially given the cost.

STS is junk (ask me how I know) and does not have a CARB EO (yet).

Cams are a great idea, but think hard about what you ultimately want. A great N/A cam isn't going to be ideal if you one day decide to go F/I, but a F/I cam will not allow you to get the most out of a N/A motor. If F/I is your ultimate goal, pick the right cam from the begining.

IMO, a positive displacement super charger is the best option for a daily driver. The low end grunt is what makes driving fun without always having the engine wound up. Whipple, Kenne Bell, Roush, Saleen, Edlebrock are all excellent options and I believe are all CARB legal when installed by and tuned by an authorized dealer.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:39 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DRock
Im pretty sure that the STS turbo kit wont pass. Heads would be hard to tell if they were factory of not. And if your geting a small cam at that point you dont need heads. Im getting long tubes and am goin to try and pass smog(im keeping the kitties), but then agian i gots friends in the right places. Find a NICE shop that dont know what they are looking at.
Passing visual is only half the battle. The other half is beating tailpipe emissions. High flow heads may allow you to get more air/fuel mixture in, but it is also almost certainly going to increase exhaust emissions as well. Some of you guys are throwing suggestions out there that won't pass CA smog. But maybe the the OP should clarify to what degree of smog friendliness he wants his parts to be. CA is probably one of the top 3 toughest states to pass smog. In most areas, it requires dyno-load testing.

Quick Reply: N/A mods