Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Can't remove harmonic balancer!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 03:23 PM
incorrigible
2nd Gear Member

See this thread regarding the bolt length. If you're installing steeda pulleys, it appears you will need a longer bolt.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:41 PM
mustang51js
3rd Gear Member

for the future you can get 3 bolts that thread into the 3 holes on the balancer, just put samll peices of wood in between the crankcase so the screw heads dont go into it, tighten them a little at a time and it will pop off, i just did mine 2 days ago
Old 06-10-2010, 04:50 PM
Casey4s
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by incorrigible
See this thread regarding the bolt length. If you're installing steeda pulleys, it appears you will need a longer bolt.
I read that thread and I don't see where you need a longer bolt!!

Could you tell me which post number in that thread you were looking at ?

Thanx...
Old 06-10-2010, 05:09 PM
incorrigible
2nd Gear Member

This post shows the difference in length between the stock bolt and the Steeda. I don't know if that applies to you though. I just remember this happening to someone else a few weeks back.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:10 PM
Casey4s
2nd Gear Member

I installed Steeda's and the factory bolt fits perfectly (part # above). Is this a ised pulley? The Steeda pulley kit comes with a longer "pull on bolt" that is too long to use as the crank bolt but is used to install the pulley. There is no reason a stock bolt will not work. Maybe you are not on far enough to start the bolt.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:15 PM
Casey4s
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by incorrigible
This post shows the difference in length between the stock bolt and the Steeda. I don't know if that applies to you though. I just remember this happening to someone else a few weeks back.
I guess you noticed WHO posted that!

That is about the "pull on bolt" not the actual crank bolt. The pull on bolt has to be longer to reach through to the threads. It is too long and can bottom out (bad), after the pulley is pulled on with the longer bolt up to a point, you finish pulling it on with the old crank bolt. Then remove the old bolt and replece it with the NEW Ford bolt. Now it has to be torqued in a specific sequence to properly set and stretch the bolt.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:48 PM
incorrigible
2nd Gear Member

My bad.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:54 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

People re-use the crank bolt all the time and get away with it. Steeda's instructions sanction this practice as well.

A new one is cheap insurance though.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:02 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Well I think I figured out what happened. I pulled the pulley on fully, but I think I damaged the first couple mm of threads on the crankshaft using the pulley remover tool. Therefore, the stock bolt isn't quite long enough to reach the threads which are still intact. I'm going to buy a couple of longer bolts tomorrow and some washers to try to get the spacing correct. Hopefully that will solve this problem.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:06 PM
Casey4s
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
People re-use the crank bolt all the time and get away with it. Steeda's instructions sanction this practice as well.

A new one is cheap insurance though.

Yeah I know they are re-used by lots of folks, but I am not going to tempt fate and see if I can "get away with it" . My car is worth more to me than the $7 bolt. I realize Ford likes to discard a lot of fasteners and I ignore some of that myself, but with some things I like to take out the insurance.

Last edited by Casey4s; 06-10-2010 at 08:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Help! Can't remove harmonic balancer!