Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Noise or Something Wrong? Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 09:32 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

I would think you still have a year left on your power train warrant. you have a 06, you joined in Apr 06, 5yr 60,000 powertrain. A clutch or slave cylinder shouldnt go with only 50,000 miles. They can argue the clutch itself is from use and power level, but all the power in the world isnt going to make a slave cylinder fail.

A lot of times they say throw out bearing for simplicity sake of not having to explain the hydrualic clutch. Your components you replace are the slave cylinder, theres one tube in there, and the pilot bearing in the back of the block.

Item 2 and 5

IF for some reason you had to pay for it, the slave cylinder I think is like $125, and the bearing is like $11
I would imagine they would want about 5 hours of labor.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:06 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I can't beleive you showed him the Spec 2.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:32 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Whats wrong with the Spec 2? I been running a spec 3 for over a year, so is my mom. Is there something specificaly wrong with the 2? I mean get can go with a 2+ for a little more money, I just didnt know there is a continuing issue with a 2.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:08 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I took her in this morning.
At first he said "I don't think this is going to be covered by warranty".

I said... "but that means it might right? Under powertrain?"
His reply "I'm not sure what the powertrain on these 06's are are you?'

I said "I believe it is 5 yrs 60k mi."
So he said he would check on it.
Said if it was that the friendly guy I had look at it first... the guy I wanted to work on it would not be the one working on it because it would have to be a certified blah blah person.

I said that's fine if it is under warranty that saves me much needed money.

Sooo.... we will see.
I asked him if they needed a list of my mods and he said no.
I think I'm gonna call them back and make sure they don't flash my damn computer though and lose my tune.
Their labor rates are outrageous. 103 an hr. So I sure as hell hope they cover this under warranty.

Oh p.s.
they are also gonna check out the dash vibration that is left over after changing the SLP's back to stock mufflers.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 07-15-2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:52 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

The 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty started with the 2008 models. 2006 models only had the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty from the factroy... sorry.

BTW, the shop will have to remove your long tube headers to drop the tranny, so expect a little more labor than 5 hours... since they will have to do that, they may have to remove your engine mounts to get at that pesky header bolt too.

Last edited by jdmcbride; 07-15-2010 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:34 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by jdmcbride
The 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty started with the 2008 models. 2006 models only had the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty from the factroy... sorry.

BTW, the shop will have to remove your long tube headers to drop the tranny, so expect a little more labor than 5 hours... since they will have to do that, they may have to remove your engine mounts to get at that pesky header bolt too.
That's weird. The guy at the shop told me yesterday he did not think they would have to remove the headers when he had the car on the lift.

I guess it is as it is either way.
Looks like this price tag might get up to 700-800 bucks?
I can't believe this ****.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 07-15-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:07 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JDWalton
Whats wrong with the Spec 2? I been running a spec 3 for over a year, so is my mom. Is there something specificaly wrong with the 2? I mean get can go with a 2+ for a little more money, I just didnt know there is a continuing issue with a 2.
For whatever reason there have been more problems with the Spec 2 and 2+, mostly the 2+, than any other clutch I could think of.

Spec 3, people have had good luck with them.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:11 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

What about them just replacing the stock clutch?

And .... how do you know I even NEED a new clutch?

These clutch's are saying the recommend a new flywheel as well...
This could get expensive as hell if i replace the clutch.

Let's not forget the dealership charges like 100 and hr labor.
Say 6 hrs labor... the slave cylinder 125... the bearing 11 bucks....
That's already almost 800 bucks....

add a new clutch.... 350 more.... new flywheel 350 more....
That would be like 1500 bucks.

I don't have that kind of dough right now.
If I MUST get it I guess I have too. But if the new clutch and flywheel are
just for nice add ons.... I can't.

If I do HAVE TOO
is this the clutch I should get?
http://www.americanmuscle.com/spec-s...gt-clutch.html

And what fly wheel would I need to get?

Oh another question... I was thinking about getting the new FRRP intake manifold at a later point in time.
Right now I am at about 318-320 RWP and 302-305 torque.

If it gave me 40 more HP I would be looking at about 360-370 RWHP. Can the stock clutch handle that?

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 07-15-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:24 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

I think 40rwhp is a lot to ask from an intake manifold. The longevity of the stock clutch will depends on more than your power level. A lot of it is based on how you drive your car, and how GOOD you drive it (ride the clutch, let it slip a lot, etc). If you don't track the car, and are a good driver, I'd guess the stock clutch would be fine at those power levels.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:51 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
I think 40rwhp is a lot to ask from an intake manifold. The longevity of the stock clutch will depends on more than your power level. A lot of it is based on how you drive your car, and how GOOD you drive it (ride the clutch, let it slip a lot, etc). If you don't track the car, and are a good driver, I'd guess the stock clutch would be fine at those power levels.
Yea, you won't get 40rwhp from the manifold. tests on stock cars with the intake see gains of around 12 hp. The real advantage of the intake is only released when you are flowing big numbers, so FI or at least heavy head porting plus radical camming, more radical that the Hot Rod cams. You might see another 20hp i guess.

As for the tranny noise, if we are agreed that's what it is, does it do it if you run the motor at a fast idle, say 1500? I'm wondering if the lopey idle is playing tunes with all the backlash in the tranny gears. I agree the noise is rather loud but might not be the clutch.

Quick Reply: Cam Noise or Something Wrong? Please Help!