Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Saleen or 2011 5.0?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 08:06 AM
Skullbussa
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rob-V
Sorry to hijack this thread guys I just have a question ?
I have never bought a new car from a dealership and I was wondering if someone could guide me in the right direction ?
I plan on ordering my Mustang and from what I saw from the previous replies you guys said that just to put a order in there is no deposit needed? My second question is. Do you negotiate the price of the car once the car arrives and then you pay for it or you can negotiate the price of the car at the same time you put the order in and settle on the price and when the car arrives you just pay the aggregated amount ?
Thanks a lot for anybody taking the time help me not being robed by the stealership
There is definitely no deposit needed UNLESS you're ordering some odd combination of options that would make a car difficult for the dealer to sell. In this case, maybe a $500 deposit would be asked but you certainly don't have to pay it (go to another dealer!).

Don't worry about negotiating the price of the car until it has arrived and is on dealer lots. Absolutely refuse to talk about sale price until the car arrives at the dealership, you can see it/drive it, etc.

The only way you'll get robbed by a dealership is if you LET THEM. In which case you have nobody to blame but yourself.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:07 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rob-V
Sorry to hijack this thread guys I just have a question ?
I have never bought a new car from a dealership and I was wondering if someone could guide me in the right direction ?
I plan on ordering my Mustang and from what I saw from the previous replies you guys said that just to put a order in there is no deposit needed? My second question is. Do you negotiate the price of the car once the car arrives and then you pay for it or you can negotiate the price of the car at the same time you put the order in and settle on the price and when the car arrives you just pay the aggregated amount ?
Thanks a lot for anybody taking the time help me not being robed by the stealership
You'll negotiate the price of the car with your specific options before the order is put in, then once the car arrives you just pay the negotiated price and the keys are handed over.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:10 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Skullbussa
There is definitely no deposit needed UNLESS you're ordering some odd combination of options that would make a car difficult for the dealer to sell. In this case, maybe a $500 deposit would be asked but you certainly don't have to pay it (go to another dealer!).

Don't worry about negotiating the price of the car until it has arrived and is on dealer lots. Absolutely refuse to talk about sale price until the car arrives at the dealership, you can see it/drive it, etc.

The only way you'll get robbed by a dealership is if you LET THEM. In which case you have nobody to blame but yourself.
I feel like you're assuming most people who custom order cars are ending up with far too routine cars. I know my car would've probably been a hassle to get off a lot if I backed out, I'm sure most others going to the trouble of custom ordering would have a similar experience.

All of the dealerships I went to discussed price before the car would be coming. TBH I don't see the difference between arguing it after or before.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:11 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Bape
Well I have finally decided, and seeing that I am a creature of comfort I am going with the 5.0. I'm having trouble finding one with my preferences though and have been thinking of building one from the ground up. I understand the dealership requires a $5,000 deposit in order for them to get the order in. For those who did this, how long did it take before you guys received your car?
The variance in getting the car really depends. Some dealers see them in 6 weeks, many others seem to be getting them closer to 10-15 weeks
Old 11-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Rob-V

Thanks a lot for the input guys.
My package would be the GT premium with the Brembo package (still deciding) so even if I don't get the car after the order is put in I really don't think they will have a hard time selling this package.