Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

too much??

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 07:35 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Well I'm 17 and this is my daily driver so I would love to try it, but wouldn't wanna **** anything up and end up having to have it towed to them for some reason. I left real speed a message cause they are closed on mondays, so hopefully they will get back to me. I know JDM is extremely expensive but I guess you do have to consider they are the best in the area, and they do have their own racing team with roush, so that does say something. If I cant find anyone else cheaper I guess I have to just go with them =/. There is 1 performance shop on staten island where I live but there ******** and quoted me $775 for install without parts, so I basically just laughed at them and told them good luck staying in business.

As for the whipple, I also was wondering about Cj pony parts so I think when the time comes I am going to consider them as one of my top choices.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:43 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by top00cat
Mustang Magic in LI did mine. I think it was right around $500 with the parts included. Mine do wine from 65-79mph
I am going to give them a call tomorrow. Thanks
Old 11-01-2010, 08:15 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Sounds like to me that they are purposefully pricing themselves up to increase their profits for the jobs they do. I heard of companies that do that, but they usually overdo it and as a result, everyone else eventually goes somewhere else and never looks back. In essence, they hurt themselves.

Another speculation I have is that they are simple just too damn cheap to hire more help. And because of that, they shun the small jobs like putting in gears and focus only on the high dollar jobs. As such, lets say someone has a $10K job that wants it done. They will purposefully drop you gear switch job for that more expensive one.

Bottom line: even if you have to go 100 miles away, do it. These guys are never going to do your job that they consider small beans.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

theres a shop in kc that supplies the gears and installs for 300...top that lol
Old 11-01-2010, 10:04 PM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
Not sure if that's meant as a compliment or a burn . . .

In any case, I don't think I'm saying anything he doesn't know. But for 3 grand, if I had the workspace, I'd try it out if I were him. He's got a great resource (the forum) at his disposal. I'm sure the supercharger company has an install manual as well.

7 years ago I didn't know what a spark plug was. Just takes diving into a project to get comfortable.

At the end of the day its their money and they should spend it how they feel most comfortable. I just hate seeing people spend the extra money when I know it's a job that, given the proper instruction, the majority of people on here could probably do.

Edit: This is concerning the supercharger install a poster above mentioned. I have NOT attempted to do a gear install so I cannot comment as to its difficulty, though when/if the time comes, I wouldn't mind getting comfortable doing it.
I don't want to throw this thread off, but I feel like I have to explain myself on why I am not installing the kit myself.

I am going to be paying around $2k for the labor because I don't have the time, let alone a garage or the space to work on it. Yes, I would love to spend that much time with my car getting to know it in and out, but I have a job that eats most of my life where I get home in the dark every night, and when I get home I have two kids that I want to enjoy before they are older and won't let me. (one's 3 and the other is 1) at this point I can barely get out on my bike for an hour trip around the back roads by my house and I haven't even bought a fishing license the last two years. Hobbies are a luxury I can't afford at this point. (so to speak)

No joke - if I started this job I wouldn't finish it for at least a month because I am so **** about getting it done correctly and I wouldnt have a way to get to work. I'd rather pay an extra $2k and enjoy it without adding stress at the same time. Hopefully some people can look past that and realize I love my car as much as the next guy.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:26 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chidrock
I don't want to throw this thread off, but I feel like I have to explain myself on why I am not installing the kit myself.

I am going to be paying around $2k for the labor because I don't have the time, let alone a garage or the space to work on it. Yes, I would love to spend that much time with my car getting to know it in and out, but I have a job that eats most of my life where I get home in the dark every night, and when I get home I have two kids that I want to enjoy before they are older and won't let me. (one's 3 and the other is 1) at this point I can barely get out on my bike for an hour trip around the back roads by my house and I haven't even bought a fishing license the last two years. Hobbies are a luxury I can't afford at this point. (so to speak)

No joke - if I started this job I wouldn't finish it for at least a month because I am so **** about getting it done correctly and I wouldnt have a way to get to work. I'd rather pay an extra $2k and enjoy it without adding stress at the same time. Hopefully some people can look past that and realize I love my car as much as the next guy.
I wouldn't attempt it without a garage. Have you tried a local Ford dealer for a Whipple install quote? You may be surprised.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:42 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chidrock

Exactly why I said "if I had the workspace" . I understand your reasoning and am not in any way bashing you spending the money to have it installed. I was simply saying that given the space to work, I believe most people here could do the install themselves successfully and save the money.

Heck, if you lived closer I'd offer to do the install at my place for some food .
Old 11-01-2010, 10:56 PM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BruceH
I wouldn't attempt it without a garage. Have you tried a local Ford dealer for a Whipple install quote? You may be surprised.
Lol I just imagine the havoc my kids would wreak if I laid out the parts in te driveway...

I'm going with CJ because I have faith that they'll do the job right. I've bought a used car where the dealer replaced a pair of brake pads as part of the deal and they put them on backwards. I have a dealer I trust now, but I'd rather have someone who's done the job before. It's all about peace of mind.

No bashing here, but it seems like someone always has to justify themselves if they don't do something one way or another.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:38 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

sorry about that...but not surprised honestly.

nothing personall against JDM, but many shops grow too big for their britches and start get haughty about who/what they will work on.

It gets even worse if they are the only shop in the area. I've been victim to that crap before out here in Hawaii and up in Washington. Shops get a monopoly and just keep squeezing.

go somewhere else. waving green at someone who doesn't want you money will only cost you more $$$ in the end
Old 11-02-2010, 05:58 AM
rydeordie
3rd Gear Member

Me personally I think that's crazy expensive being that you are supplying the parts.