Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just my luck

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 09:53 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Default Just my luck

So this past Sunday a few (mechanic) friends and I decided it was finally time to install my 8.8 rear that's been sitting around. Long story short, we got the braking system, sway bar, speed sensors off etc and simply ran out of time/daylight and had to put it all back on.

I was dropping my friend off, and heard a disturbing grinding noise. At first I thought maybe the sway bar or something came loose and was dragging. Not the case. I nursed it to his shop which was luckily just down the road and looked over everything that we took off. Sway was tight, calipers, pads and rotors looked good, dust shield was on fine, basically nothing stood out. We could not figure out the problem.

Dumbfounded, I searched all over the web and came to this conclusion, the speed sensors went bad and/or are damaged. The OD light flashes, right around 12mph there's a grinding noise before going into second, won't go into OD gear and shifts late and rough. I base that conclusion on what I found here: http://www.carsdirect.com/car-repair...e-speed-sensor

But at the same time, I'm worried that something in the trans is messed up.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Alec; 11-17-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:47 PM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

I wanted to let you know there's a problem with that link.
I have no clue about speed sensors, but wanted to let
you know about the link. Good luck.
I tried the link at work and at home. I get this message...
The page you're looking for doesn't exist. You may have selected an outdated page or mistyped the Web page address (URL).
Sorry for the inconvenience, but don't let this stop you.
You might find what you are looking for by clicking on one of the links below.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:44 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Sorry, fixed the link

Anyway, one of my friends suggested unplugging the ABS sensor, thinking that it might have went bad and is causing a problem. No luck

Don't really know what to say, other than it's really looking like a trans problem. I only have 63k and don't beat it too bad, but who knows. Always wanted a 5 speed but not right now. It seems like it's one hell of a coincidence to have this problem pop up after we took that stuff at the rear apart

First gear makes all kind of noise, grinds and whines a little. Other gears are ok, but shift points are rough and all over the place