Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my LT's...now a dumb question

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 08:57 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Looks like there needs to be a Rev 6. Glad you were able to find ways around the issues. My Pypes LT fit perfectly and the install still took me a good 2 days.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:04 AM
Hack Job
2nd Gear Member

I’ll be installing Pypes LT’s in the near future. I’ve been going through a lot of related posts and have some questions.
I’m currently in FL so I don’t have to have cats until I go back to TX. At that point can I clamp/weld my factory cats into the Pypes O/R X?
Until the cats are installed I still need the O2 extenders, correct? Or cap them off and update tune to O2 off?
I see a lot of back & forth on Percy gaskets and Stage 8 bolts. Are they worth the extra $$?
Any other key info I’m missing?
Thanks.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:47 PM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

you should honestly just find a friend/meet a friend that works at a shop that will hook you up with inspection...
Old 07-15-2011, 12:08 AM
Texastboneking

Originally Posted by Hack Job
I’ll be installing Pypes LT’s in the near future. I’ve been going through a lot of related posts and have some questions.
I’m currently in FL so I don’t have to have cats until I go back to TX. At that point can I clamp/weld my factory cats into the Pypes O/R X?
Until the cats are installed I still need the O2 extenders, correct? Or cap them off and update tune to O2 off?
I see a lot of back & forth on Percy gaskets and Stage 8 bolts. Are they worth the extra $$?
Thanks.
if your talking about a mustang 96 and up just get a tuner and turn off the rear 02 sensors. it will pass with an off road pipe and tune as long as the inspection ppl dont look under your car
Old 07-15-2011, 06:47 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by adidasUNT8
you should honestly just find a friend/meet a friend that works at a shop that will hook you up with inspection...
A lot easier said than done.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:29 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hack Job
Thanks.
1. any competant shop can weld your factory cats onto the LT's. they can cut them off the OEM piece and weld them together and then put on the car. Or you could grab some high flow cats (recommend). either way, easy

2. I did need O2 extenders. Some people will swear you don't. It was $40 and I didn't have to hassle with the bull****. Your choice. Front only though.

3. I put my old rear O2's into the H pipe to plug the holes. Simple

4. As far as gaskets and bolts, I re-used the factory gaskets (zero leaks btw) since they were metal and the motor only had maybe 4,000 miles if that. The LT's came with new bolts. I used a 1/2 mix of factory studs and the bolts to re-install. The pictures above should show why. The studs were just freaking easier to use.

As far as tuning, yes you will absolutely need tuning. Cats or not. My car ran like crap for 1 month until I changed tuners. BBR rocks. If you delete the cats, make sure the tuner knows and turns off the rear O2's or your car will pop a CEL and run rich
Old 07-16-2011, 06:35 AM
Hack Job
2nd Gear Member

Ok, here’s what I’m going with...
Roush axle back (already installed)
Hot Rod cams (ordering w/ the headers)
Pypes LT’s & O/R X
O2 extenders for the front sensors
O2 tuned to ‘off’ on the rear sensors to avoid a CEL
Factory gaskets
Use of both factory studs & supplied bolts
Updated Bama Tune
Once back in TX I’ll deal with having the factory cats welded in. Per Pypes, I’ll need their CVM10K cat kit. Per Bama, reusing the stock cats is best because of high flow cats not filtering out enough contaminants and the cars having issues with passing emissions.
Did I miss anything? And thanks for all the replies/PM’s.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:45 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

sounds good. I don't know your mileage, but you might want to pick up new gaskets just in case and not re-use.

compare the price of OEM new vs. the price of good aftermarket ones. should be a nice gain in power. I'm hoping to install some FRPP Hot Rods myself in a few months along with a centri blower
Old 07-16-2011, 07:52 AM
Hack Job
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus
I don't know your mileage, but you might want to pick up new gaskets just in case and not re-use.
Percy gaskets & Stage 8 bolts were intially on my parts list. Considering my mileage, 25k, and comments/PM's from several others I dropped them both.

Although...
I did see these bolts at Jegs. They're not locking like the ARP's but they may make the install easer. Anyone have any experience with these?
JEGS Metric Header Bolt Kit