Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Master Cylinder & Brake Booster

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 03:23 PM
TypeS
2nd Gear Member

Default Master Cylinder & Brake Booster

Long story short: I took my car in to a local shop to have the tires rotated and brakes inspected. I was informed I have a leak in the system and will require a new master cylinder and brake booster. I've been driving the car fine although have noticed the pedal getting slightly soft recently. I've been quoted $600 in parts alone and and shop I currently have it at has said $1010.60 total. Is this a fair price? Also, I'm going to assume it isn't drivable but am I wrong? Other sources can get the parts much quicker but that would require driving the car and I do not want to drive a car that might not be able to stop.

Thanks
Old 12-10-2010, 03:37 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TypeS
Long story short: I took my car in to a local shop to have the tires rotated and brakes inspected. I was informed I have a leak in the system and will require a new master cylinder and brake booster. I've been driving the car fine although have noticed the pedal getting slightly soft recently. I've been quoted $600 in parts alone and and shop I currently have it at has said $1010.60 total. Is this a fair price? Also, I'm going to assume it isn't drivable but am I wrong? Other sources can get the parts much quicker but that would require driving the car and I do not want to drive a car that might not be able to stop.

Thanks
I were err on the safe side and say if your brakes are already feeling squishy, it may not be road safe much longer, if it isn't already unsafe. I presume this is your daily driver? Do you have a friend/family member that can get you around/loan you a vehicle to get the parts? Otherwise, maybe the parts place can deliver the parts to you? I see Advance Auto Parts, O'Reilly's deliver to shops all the time... Maybe a compasionate manager could deliver to a private individual for a fee.

As far as the work, I have no idea so maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in soon. Good luck and be safe.

Don
Old 12-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Hmmm...I'd seek more info and specifics on the problem. Why a brake booster AND the master cylinder? That seems far fetched that both could be bad, more like they are taking a guess. Ask them how they know thats the problem and, if there are leaks, ask them to show you where. All the brake booster does is make it easier to push the pedal, brakes will still work without it so, when you say 'squishy' pedal my first thought wouldn't be a booster. Good luck.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:35 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Argonaut
Hmmm...I'd seek more info and specifics on the problem. Why a brake booster AND the master cylinder? That seems far fetched that both could be bad, more like they are taking a guess. Ask them how they know thats the problem and, if there are leaks, ask them to show you where. All the brake booster does is make it easier to push the pedal, brakes will still work without it so, when you say 'squishy' pedal my first thought wouldn't be a booster. Good luck.

+1

It would be very rare for both to fail. Though they both are park of the brake system as a whole, they operate very differently. The booster relies on vacuum to make the pedal easier to push. The master cylinder holds fluid, and pushes fluid to the brakes (calipers) to engage the pads.

If your pedal is feeling softer, it's most likely a leaking master cylinder, brake line, or caliper. If your pedal was suddenly getting more firm, THEN I would suspect the brake booster.

Unless the shop is providing you with good reason to replace both, I'd mandate they do more testing/diagnosis, or at least SHOW you the problem and where it is. If the put up ANY fight on it, tow it elsewhere. Any shop that gripes at explaining and actually showing you the problem is, in my opinion, not a shop you should be at.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:50 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

$300 in parts. If that's your problem. Probably just need a bleeding.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php
Old 12-10-2010, 08:47 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

If the brake pedal is soft and squishy then you DO NOT require a booster. as for the Master cylinder if it's leaking then that is a different story.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Recon111
2nd Gear Member

did you see the leak?
Old 12-11-2010, 12:58 PM
TypeS
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the replies,

I did see the leak so they aren't completely bsing me. I opted to just let this shop handle it rather than possibly put myself or others in a dangerous situation should the brakes fail for any reason. They placed the order for the parts (OEM) and were originally not going to have them for a week (closest ones were memphis, detroit, and texas going to FL) but they managed to help me out and are getting them in by monday at no additional cost. We'll see how this goes.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:28 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Lol ooookay. I get that you want the car to be safe, but when everyone is telling you they are simply throwing parts at it at your expense and you go ahead and bow to their will anyways, what is the point in posting? They are making plenty of money off you to make up for any additional shipping charges to get the parts sooner. I'd guess they were always getting the parts on Monday and just said otherwise to give themselves some wiggle room.

I guess I shouldn't care because it's not my money, but I just hate seeing people potentially getting screwed. Even more so when we tell them to be careful and they STILL turn a blind eye.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:27 PM
incorrigible
2nd Gear Member

The new booster may be required if the master cylinder leaked into it. Most likely the cause of them saying it needs replacement.

Take it to another shop for a second opinion if in doubt.