Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First clay bar experience WITH PICS

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 04:28 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Looks fantastic. I am totally sold on the clay bar stuff since after using it. It amazed me the grime it pulled off, even after doing a solid wash job.

BTW I just hijacked your thread with my awesome time travel powers.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:29 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Default First clay bar experience WITH PICS

Well I took advantage of the 45 degree temp. here in NY today and decided to wash and clay bar the stang with the kit my gf got me for xmas. This was my first time ever using a clay kit and I think it turned out pretty well. Never realized how much **** was really left on the car after washing.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:35 PM
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

How long does it take to clay the whole car? Does it wear out your arms?

I'd like to do mine, but even though my legs are geared for several 30+ mile hikes every year... my arms are out of shape and pushing around clay would probably just ruin my day. LOL
Old 01-02-2011, 04:36 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
Looks fantastic. I am totally sold on the clay bar stuff since after using it. It amazed me the grime it pulled off, even after doing a solid wash job.

BTW I just hijacked your thread with my awesome time travel powers.
I know this stuff is great, and Wtf is up with this time mixup I see it on almost every thread now
Old 01-02-2011, 04:38 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fifthwind
How long does it take to clay the whole car? Does it wear out your arms?

I'd like to do mine, but even though my legs are geared for several 30+ mile hikes every year... my arms are out of shape and pushing around clay would probably just ruin my day. LOL
Its an absolute joke lol I did it while the car was still wet, than just sprayed the detailer that came with the kit and rubbed the clay up and down one section at a time. Took a total of maybe 20 25 mins
Old 01-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

Cool. Even I can do that... maybe with a doughnut in the other hand!!!
Old 01-02-2011, 04:50 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Claying is definitely not overrated it brings the car to a whole new level of clean. I wish my GF would've gotten me something for my car for xmas.

Your car is looking great! Claying can definitely be somewhat of a pain in the amount of time it adds to other detailing tasks (at least I know for me, without claying wash and wax usually takes about 3-4 hours if i'm really dedicated to it.)

@ Fifthwind, With that said though, anybody can clay a car even if your arms aren't all that fit. Claying is nothing compared to hand waxing, when you clay you really aren't applying any pressure, just sliding the clay over the surface to pick up particulates that are barely above the surface of the clear coat it's just sliding some clay around over a slippery car once you put the detailing spray on.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:51 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Please note, ypu just started the process...preferable wax a day after you polish...if no polish required, you can go straight to wax after clay.

Wash -> Clay -> Polish -> Wax
or
Wash -> Clay -> Polish -> Glaze

I recommend Pinnacle Souverän vover Klasse ALL-In-One.

http://www.autogeek.net/sokit.html
Old 01-02-2011, 04:53 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roy_R
Please note, just just started...Wax a day after you polish...if no polish required, you can go stray to wax after clay. I recommend this product.

Wash -> Clay -> Polish -> Wax

I recommend Pinnacle Souverän vover Klasse ALL-In-One.

http://www.autogeek.net/sokit.html
That's some expensive stuff. I know the premium products are worth the extra money (I always buy premium paint sealant) but for the most part things like that are too expensive. Personally I love the way Meguiars makes my car look
Old 01-02-2011, 04:59 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pdonket
That's some expensive stuff. I know the premium products are worth the extra money (I always buy premium paint sealant) but for the most part things like that are too expensive. Personally I love the way Meguiars makes my car look
Oops, you replied my post before I was done....I used to use Meguiars - NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0, works well too. My father-in-law just gave me Surf City, but I haven't tried it. I like the kit I recommended too much

http://www.surfcitygarage.com/detail1.php?product_id=18

Quick Reply: First clay bar experience WITH PICS