Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I have to pay sales tax if I buy a mustang privately? Also, advice b/w GT and v6

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 03:43 AM
crewxp

Default Do I have to pay sales tax if I buy a mustang privately? Also, advice b/w GT and v6

Hey, I have a question. I found a mustang I really like on these forums, but I'm a little curious as to how the process works.

I know at a dealer I have to pay the sale price, sales tax, inspection fee, inventory tax, document fees, and detailing fees.

But if I buy from someone on these forums or ebay, do I have to pay a sales tax? Or does he give me the title and registration, then I pay him his price, and that should be it. I assume after I get the title I have to go to the DMV and register the car in my name, right?

Any tips/advice as to how the private-party process works?

Also: After lots and lots of research, I've finally narrowed it down between these two. I made this in about 10 minutes. Which would you say is the better buy? I like the color the the GT, but its 4K more than the other car. I can make the white look alright if I add a stripe to it. Do you think the 5K Difference in price and 10K extra miles justifies it? Is white an alright color ya think? Hrm...

http://www.crewxp.com/mustang_compare_public.pdf

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2011, 04:06 AM
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

First of all:

Originally Posted by crewxp
I know at a dealer I have to pay the sale price, sales tax, inspection fee, inventory tax, document fees, and detailing fees.
Everything you listed except price and tax are sucker fees... negotiate to NOT pay them if ever you work with a dealer in the future.

Now on to your main question: Yes, you will still pay a sales tax. In most states it will be figured into your registration fees when you go get the plates. So make sure to figure that in and have enough money handy.

As for the cars, I say split the difference and get a V7

Seriously though, it really comes down to a lot of factors.
1) what you can afford
2) how you will drive the car (if you are a low mileage driver then the existing mileage is a moot point) If you are a high milage driver, then every mile counts.
3) do you intend future mods?
4) insurance concerns
5) years financed and rate?
ect ect ect

All things being equal, I would get the GT. It seems like the better value and you'd probably have more fun with it.

Oh, and congrats!!!

Last edited by Fifthwind; 01-04-2011 at 04:11 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:19 AM
crewxp

thanks guys. yeah, when it comes down to it, it's my decision I guess.

I can afford both (with loans of course)., just the GT will hurt more and will take me about a year longer to pay off. It's only a 5-10K loan, so im hoping the rates will be good. calling to inquire that tomorrow. And I got a good deal on the insurance, so im set with that.

And yes, I do intend future mods. Will one car be easier for me to mod?

Im just a little curious on the state tax now. Do they base the tax off blue book. msrp, or my word? Hmm

Oh, and thanks Filthwind! Appreciate the reply
Old 01-04-2011, 04:25 AM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

Sales tax in certain states is based on stated sale price, which is written down on the title (normally). If the person you're buying from is not a douche, he will write a much lower amount in the "sold for" section of the title when signing it over.

Other states will do sales tax based on the KBB private sale value of the car, in "fair" or "good" condition depending on the state.

You need to look at the DMV website for your state to determine how it is calculated. There are websites dedicated to helping you figure this out as well.

I know in VA it's stated sale price, and in MD it's blue-book price.

This is Texas' way of doing things, which to me seems fairly complicated:

http://www.txdmv.gov/vehicles/titles...tive_value.htm

Yeah... good luck with that. Also the minimum is 6.25%, as that's the sales tax rate.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:25 AM
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by crewxp
Im just a little curious on the state tax now. Do they base the tax off blue book. msrp, or my word? Hmm
Sales tax will be based on the bill of sale... what you paid times whatever the tax % is for your state. Registration fees will often be based on Blue Book. You will be paying both. There will always be some exceptions to this depending on state laws, but generally you won't get out of it.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:30 AM
bojanglesowner07252
2nd Gear Member

I'd def say the gt cause the color is way better, v8, and not bad price compared to v6....although im curious to why there has already been 3 owners for a 2010 GT???
Old 01-04-2011, 05:32 AM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Depends on state. There is no sales tax in GA on a used car purchased privately.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:53 AM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Get the seller to put a lessor amount on the bill of sale, done! It's a well known "screw uncle Sam" trick. Might as well do it since Obama will just **** the money away!!!
Old 01-04-2011, 08:41 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

For the sake of keeping a good thread going, don't make it political please.

Thanks all .

When I sold a car to a guy in WA, he asked that I keep the bill of sale blank and they would insert the price. I was nice, and so were they, so I agreed.