Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whipple SC squeek wont go away.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 04:47 PM
solidsnakegt89
1st Gear Member

Default Whipple SC squeek wont go away.

Ive had this whipple for a little over a year i love it, its great but i have had bad luck with pulleys since ive had the SC my sliding idler pulley burnt up one time and my belt snaped. fixed that then another time my 155mm ideler pulley cracked on my went to napa got a new pulley fixed that. NOW the squeek is back on my 155mm idler pulley its only about 6 months old i would say and ive taken it off and greased it but the squeek still wont go away its loud and annoining like i have a birds nest under the hood of my car. very frustrating does anyone know how i can solve this problem and if any other whipple owners have delt with this before thanks for the advice guys... and BTW i do not have the money to afford the steeda belt drive system or i woulda just went to that -_-
Old 02-07-2011, 04:52 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Whipple and the squeak, or pulley squeal, or belt noise is not unheard of.
i had the same issues.
i went with the 8 rib conversion from BGGperformance.
i think the 8 rib will fix your problem, better than the steeda belt drive will, bc the 8 rib kit replaces all your pulleys not just the SC one.
with any SC, especially TS, there will be more wear on the pulleys. going to a 8 rib setup is a good idea, and cheaper than the steeda setup.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:01 PM
solidsnakegt89
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
i had the same issues.
i think the 8 rib will fix your problem, better than the steeda belt drive will, bc the 8 rib kit replaces all your pulleys not just the SC one.
with any SC, especially TS, there will be more wear on the pulleys. going to a 8 rib setup is a good idea, and cheaper than the steeda setup.
thanks i just checked it out. what is the included pulley? is that the pulley for the SC itself? and i didnt see my size pulley i have a 3.25 the closest i saw was a 3.20
Old 02-07-2011, 06:28 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by solidsnakegt89
Ive had this whipple for a little over a year i love it, its great but i have had bad luck with pulleys since ive had the SC my sliding idler pulley burnt up one time and my belt snaped. fixed that then another time my 155mm ideler pulley cracked on my went to napa got a new pulley fixed that. NOW the squeek is back on my 155mm idler pulley its only about 6 months old i would say and ive taken it off and greased it but the squeek still wont go away its loud and annoining like i have a birds nest under the hood of my car. very frustrating does anyone know how i can solve this problem and if any other whipple owners have delt with this before thanks for the advice guys... and BTW i do not have the money to afford the steeda belt drive system or i woulda just went to that -_-
I had the same problem with my saleen SC took months to finally fix it, replaced every pulley (some twice) and multiple belts. Switching to the goodyear gatorback belt fixed the problem, along with replacing the stupid plastic factory idler pulley with a actual steel idler pulley.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:52 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

yes, the included pulley is the SC pulley.
you could try and call them and ask if they have another pulley that is the same size as yours.
it just might not be listed in there as an option.
or you could go without the pulley and order it seperate from Whipple, just make sure its an 8 rib pulley.
i believe BGG performance uses Reichard racing pulleys, so you can check out their pulley sizes.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:59 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

http://www.lethalperformance.com/pul...hipping-p-8279

you could order one of these whipple SC pullies for the Terminator that are 8 rib, i have the 3.5 one.
and not get the SC pulley with the 8 rib kit, they will prorate you $139
the whipple pulley from LethalPerformance is $140, about the same.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:26 PM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

i had the same issues.
While an 8 rib setup MAY help the problem, it wont do it better than the Steeda system. It doesnt address the root problem.

An 8 rib setup is not going to isolate the supercharger and the loads it imposes on the factory pulley and tensioner system like the belt drive does. A dedicated drive for the supercharger leaves the factory style belt system behind it taking the additional loads imposed on the factory tensioner and returning them back to a range that is closer to stock. That is the right way to fix the problem.

The loads imposed on the main belt system, especially if you like to drive it the way it should be driven, are the reason you are having recurring pulley failures.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:50 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
While an 8 rib setup MAY help the problem, it wont do it better than the Steeda system. It doesnt address the root problem.

An 8 rib setup is not going to isolate the supercharger and the loads it imposes on the factory pulley and tensioner system like the belt drive does. A dedicated drive for the supercharger leaves the factory style belt system behind it taking the additional loads imposed on the factory tensioner and returning them back to a range that is closer to stock. That is the right way to fix the problem.

The loads imposed on the main belt system, especially if you like to drive it the way it should be driven, are the reason you are having recurring pulley failures.

it actually did cure my problem of the squealing pulleys. i did the 8 rib kit conversion about 3 years ago after chasing the pulley squeal one by one, and it didn't go away. there is still no pulley squeal 3 years later. i didn't even change belts yet and i do drive it hard once in a while. i also put in a Thumprrr tensioner, which also helps.
the OP said he didn't have the money for your system, so i offered the 8 rib kit as a solution, and it's half the price of the steeda 10 rib belt drive.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:47 AM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

it actually did cure my problem of the squealing pulleys. i did the 8 rib kit conversion about 3 years ago after chasing the pulley squeal one by one, and it didn't go away. there is still no pulley squeal 3 years later. i didn't even change belts yet and i do drive it hard once in a while. i also put in a Thumprrr tensioner, which also helps.
the OP said he didn't have the money for your system, so i offered the 8 rib kit as a solution, and it's half the price of the steeda 10 rib belt drive.
Good that it worked for you, the whole reason we developed the 10 rib system is because an 8 rib didn't work for us. We were still having the same problems.

Guess our guy just drives a little harder or we were just had back luck.