Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painted valve covers

Old 04-26-2011, 10:37 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Looks really nice indeed!
Old 04-26-2011, 11:15 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Well done!
Old 04-27-2011, 12:26 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

OP, what kind of paint was used?
Old 04-27-2011, 07:37 AM
allinon72
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 92hatchLX
OP, what kind of paint was used?
High temp primer, regular basecoat, high temp clear. It's best to use all high temp paints, but I had to use a standard basecoat because I wanted them sonic blue.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:59 AM
MeanStang08
ChopShop Mod-tator

Originally Posted by allinon72
High temp primer, regular basecoat, high temp clear. It's best to use all high temp paints, but I had to use a standard basecoat because I wanted them sonic blue.
do you or anyone else have experience with using the regular basecoat sandwhiched between the high-temps on how well this holds up??

i was wondering about doing mine this way so i could get the color match better.. not happy with the high-temp reds available to match my dark candy apple red.. which is some of the reason i haven't finished mine..
Old 04-27-2011, 09:09 AM
allinon72
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MeanStang08
do you or anyone else have experience with using the regular basecoat sandwhiched between the high-temps on how well this holds up??

i was wondering about doing mine this way so i could get the color match better.. not happy with the high-temp reds available to match my dark candy apple red.. which is some of the reason i haven't finished mine..
I don't have any experience doing this, but I don't think it will be a problem. The valve covers get hot but not that hot. If the paint doesn't hold up, I'll have them powdercoated.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:47 AM
Mpaint99
2nd Gear Member

I did mine. Take the battery out to get at rear bolts easier.(suggestion) Theres 15 bolts per side. Need a No# 10 and 8 socket. I needed a 1/2 inch socket to remove cold air intake housing. Read the paint cans to make sure your using all enamel or all lacquer. The high temp paint cans some in both. I would not use carb cleaner to clean them which I have read on other sites. I used 1000 steel wool to prep mine. I went to a local bodyshop and for the cost of lunch he baked my valve covers when I was done. Dont lose a valve cover bolt there $7.00 each from dealer. Parts stores dont carry them because of gromet. Took me an hour for driver side, but I had to disconnect all my Nitrous lines. 20 min for passengerside. Take the time too get everything out of way. You dont want to scratch them when reinstalling them. Good luck.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:54 AM
allinon72
2nd Gear Member

Well I will be honest with you guys...I would probably do a few things different if I did it over again.

First, the magnesium really doesn't take paint well. I would probably use adhesion promoter if I were to do it again. When reinstalling the covers, I used painters tape to mask off the edges so they didn't get scratched. When pulling the tape off, the paint came right off in one spot, all the way down to bare metal. This was quite disappointing. I was able to touch the spot up, but it has me worried about the long term longevity.

The best option would be powdercoat.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:35 AM
MeanStang08
ChopShop Mod-tator

Originally Posted by allinon72
Well I will be honest with you guys...I would probably do a few things different if I did it over again.

First, the magnesium really doesn't take paint well. I would probably use adhesion promoter if I were to do it again. When reinstalling the covers, I used painters tape to mask off the edges so they didn't get scratched. When pulling the tape off, the paint came right off in one spot, all the way down to bare metal. This was quite disappointing. I was able to touch the spot up, but it has me worried about the long term longevity.

The best option would be powdercoat.
ooo.. good information.. thanks for sharing that bit.. wonder what type of adhesion promoter is good for magnesium..
Old 05-06-2011, 11:17 AM
allinon72
2nd Gear Member

Regular adhesion promoter should work. I got the covers down to bare metal, which seemed like a perfect service to lay regular primer on. I was wrong.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Painted valve covers