Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to replace regular '08 stock stereo

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 12:06 AM
jhendren

Default Looking to replace regular '08 stock stereo

I am looking to replace entire stereo system. Nothing is wrong, but I would like a new headunit and new speakers to replace the stock units. I need suggestions/reviews of systems that any of you may use or have heard work well.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:08 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

You can't go wrong with Pioneer. I have a 3100 and I believe the newer versions of it are the 3200 and 3300 models!
Old 05-14-2011, 12:39 PM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

+1 on the Pioneer's.
I currently have the Z110BT upgraded to the Z120BT (software upgrade). When the upgrade to the Z130 is available, I"m getting it. Overall, it does almost everything I want it to do. I like having Voice Recognition for the built in bluetooth (phone) and ipod/iphone support. I have the mic clipped between the headliner and the front window above the rear view mirror. Sometimes I have to repeat myself clearly with the windows up, but I'm satisfied. Some people seem to have more issues with that than others so they replace the mic with a different one. When I have my iphone hooked up to the ipod cable(usually I have my ipod hooked up and my iphone syncs up via bluetooth) I can listen to my Pandora radio. I also like how I can use the AVIC Feeds app to add contact's on my pc or iphone to the address book, select them in my contact list, and it becomes my GPS destination.

Ultimately the feature list is...
7 inch touch screen

standard GPS features

Bluetooth

compatible with ipod music and video via the ipod cable. If you want to watch video with driving, you will need to wire it a little differently (most professional audio installers won't do this for you as it is not what the manufacturer intended)

Is also compatible with virtually any other usb device but doesn't integrate as nicely in the headunit

screen angle is adjustable.

has 1 cd slot and 1 SD card slot.

Customizable loading screen and colors.

rearview camera capable, or use the connection for a secondary video device for the back seat.

I just replaced the headunit, not the amps or speakers. I'm happy with the result. I don't have a need to replace the speakers as it sounds great to me.

Only complaints I have about it are....
MSN Direct service got discontinued (is usable until 2012) So I chose to not get that extra service, which is fine with me.

Google shut down their Google 411 service so I have an extra icon on one of my screens now (Still waiting for the 130 update to get rid of it).

boot up time when it is powered on.

when powered off. the time is displayed in the same top right corner of the screen. I wish it would go to the center and enlarge.

when you want the screen to go dark (like it's got no power going to it) so it's not so bright when you don't want it to be, it does have a "screen off" option. But you can't select that option while the car is not in park (same issue with watching dvd's or video's from your idevice when it's not in park).

The last thing is, that when displaying the song info. I kinda wish the info would scroll if it's too long to display on the screen.

The new Z130BT has a few new features. like FB integration (reading your facebook posts to you among other social media sites. It also has built in HD radio. and a traffic tuner

I'll be upgrading to the 130 because I would like to experience the HD radio and get the traffic updates as well for my area. I can get HD readio right now but I'd rather just wait.

This pic wasn't taken for the radio, but it is in there as you can see the shift **** is not in the way....
Old 05-14-2011, 06:30 PM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

I have the same setup as the pick above, but i have satellite radio,nav,bluetooth and the works. it makes the car look amazing
Old 05-15-2011, 01:19 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Pioneer 3200bt with kickers in the rear and Boston's in the doors. Huge massive improvement. Got it all through crutchfield. Installed myself, really simple too.