Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Torque for Street

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 02:40 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

A tune will not void a warranty. There is so much misinformation floating around the internet and at dealerships about aftermarket modification, it's unbearable.

You can look up the Magnuson act or in summary of it:

An OEM/Dealer cannot void your warranty unless the part in question proves to be the culprit of the problem. When you replace a part with an aftermarket part, only the warranty for that part is immediatly void of the factory warranty.

Example 1: You add a CAI and change the tune of your car and the Power steering pump dies. The p/s pump is still covered under warranty.

Example 2: You add a CAI and change the tune of your car and run a lean condition from a **** poor tune that detonates your motor (The car woudl exhibit a boatload of issues beforehand). The warranty on the motor is void because the lean condition created by the bad tune created the failure.

Example 3: You leave your car completely factory, get some really bad gas in there and detonate the motor...guess what, the gas created the failure, your warranty is void.

Not the best reference below but you'll get the idea.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson_Act
Old 06-08-2011, 03:19 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Read this also: https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...-warranty.html
Old 06-08-2011, 03:36 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

A ME huh? Anybody here that has done a 4.6 or 5.0 to a 7.3 Powerstroke swap in a Mustang???

Last edited by mapitts; 06-08-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:40 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by thelastsumurai
I don't want to give my car a tune until it is out of warranty!
Then your best bet is to leave it stock. You can't get any HP/TQ gains without tuning. Period.
I was hoping that X pipes would give more power than the current H pipe.
They won't. X-pipe vs. H-pipe is purely sound preferance.
I see that Heartthrob has a full 3" exhaust from the cat back to rear axle, but free flow doesn't necessarily lead to greater torque numbers, high rpm horsepower yes, but low rpm Torque no...
In this case, it doesn't mean higher HP or TQ, at any RPM level. The stock S197 exhaust flows exceptionally well unless you are pushing SERIOUS HP already through either forced induction or major bolt-ons. At that point, you'd have some major ECM tuning done anyway, so it kind of defeats your intentions.
I have an automatic and can get it to shift a low rpm (1600-1700) around town. This car is quite tame in city driving, but when you punch it.....
Ford has worked some serious magic with VCT.
Anyone have some real (vs B/S) information on X pipes vs H pipes?
Yes. Exhaust mods from the manifolds back are purely sound preference mods on the S197 unless you are pushing serious HP. Again, the exhaust flows exceptionally well. Even the manifolds themselves do not become restrictive until you are pushing far more HP than stock.
I have been looking on various forums and have gotten mixed information. As well as an insight into how uninformed about basic mechanics quite a few of the members are.
The irony is stifling.
I have 315 gears on my car now and have thought about 331's it's not much of a jump, but it would get me through the gears quicker giving me better around town mpg.
You would never in a million years notice any difference by going from 3.15s to 3.31s. Save your money.
Just to let you future gear heads know, If I was going to the drags every weekend like I used to, I would be looking for the most horse power not the most torque.
HP and TQ do not have an inverse relationship. However, your logic is still off. Torque is a far more valuable asset at the drag strip.

Last edited by Diabolical!; 06-08-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:14 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
You would never in a million years notice any difference by going from 3.15s to 3.31s. Save your money.
+1

To the OP,
Get 3.73's at the very least.
If you're an ME, then you probably know all about mechanical advantage, and its benefits wrt accelerating a motionless(or slow moving) body.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:20 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Without a tune, gears is your only option. Even then you have to pay ford to re-calibrate your ecu.

Just man up and tune the damn thing. You can always flash back before taking it to the dealer.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:47 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

...But the reality is that Torque is what we need every day for best MPG and street fun...
Fun - yeah, mpg - not so much.
If your statement were true, pickup trucks would have incredible MPG, and the Heavy duty ones would be even better, they are low rev torque monsters. I will concede that there is little variance between highway and city MPG in torque monsters, but they are down there in the 10-15MPG range.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:26 PM
ModMe
1st Gear Member

I hear about all the Horse power gains that everyone is always talking about. But the reality is that Torque is what we need every day for best MPG and street fun. I am looking to replace the factory H pipe with a X pipe (MAYBE). I suspect that ford has designed the best torque setup for the street i.e. best gas mileage. What are ever ones thoughts on this, and what can I do to get the most Torque on my '11 5.0...Without a tune...
What about underdrive pulleys?? I know they work on the 05-09 without a tune with good gains. CAI/Tune would be the best bet. Go with Ford Racing parts if you are worried about warranty.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:45 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by ModMe
What about underdrive pulleys?? I know they work on the 05-09 without a tune with good gains. CAI/Tune would be the best bet. Go with Ford Racing parts if you are worried about warranty.
FRPP parts come with a 12mo/12,000 mile warranty not 3/36 like OEM. If the part causes the failure then the warranty is void for the part that failed because of the replaced non-oem component.

FRPP is considered non-oem.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:53 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

...Without a tune...
Nothing. Go find another hobby or pay for a tune. I prefer the second option.

Quick Reply: More Torque for Street