Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Body Settings Reset

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 10:30 PM
InvincibleLAW

Default Throttle Body Settings Reset

So I recently saw on a sticky that you could get a "crispier" feel to your car if you reset the throttle body setting. So the instructions were:

"Turn the key to ON (DO NOT START THE CAR!) and wait till all the normal lights in the dash go out, then slowly press the gas pedal until it is floored and release. Turn the key off, wait about 6 seconds and then start your car." - shave35

I did exactly that and it seriously made my shifting smoother. Especially from 1st to 2nd (which would always be clunky and rough for some reason, I always thought it was a transmission problem). Anyways, I've been really enjoying my ride. The shifts feel clean and tight.

However, it also said it's only a temporary fix. So will the shifts stay smooth and crisp? My problem is really between the 1st to 2nd gear shifts and Im hoping it stays this way, or do I have to keep on resetting it?

I know a CAI would help, but it's not in my budget right now.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:34 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

A tuner would definitely help on that (big time).
I've done the reset on my v6, and didn't really notice much different...
but then again I never noticed any problems to begin with.

I'd just keep resetting it whenever it starts to feel laggy and such. I don't see how it could hurt your car.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:38 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Tuner helped throttle response here too.
Might want to clean that sucker too, word is it helps.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:01 PM
InvincibleLAW

Yeah, the difference was between 1st to 2nd, where the lag was. The other gear shifts werent noticeably different since they dont lag at all.

As for the tuner, when I have some cash Im going to get a CAI and tuner combo for sure.

I have a '10 GT. Should I still try to clean out the TB? I would think it's still clean lol

And lastly, is the lag from 1st to 2nd normal? It's pretty bad sometimes. I have let go of the clutch slower going into second than the rest of the gears so it doesnt rock my car. Then sometimes it doesnt lag and I end up burning my clutch. What's going on there??
Old 08-05-2011, 11:06 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

I've heard that they like to lag from first to second.
Although I drive a manual and I've never noticed, or really looked into the problem.

I'd say it's just a tuning issue.
Tuner makes a hell of a difference with all that stuff.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:05 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

On your '10, I'd assume you don't have a lot of miles on. With that AND as long as you're not experiencing any odd idle hunting or hesitation, I'd leave the TB cleaning for later.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:55 PM
jAAAmes
2nd Gear Member

i think it has to do with the car's computer "learning" your driving style, so if you don't really have a lead foot, it's going to slowly adapt and, well, get slower. a really stupid feature IMO. can anyone else confirm that's what it is doing? this is only my thought from experience.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:30 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

The CAI's on the 2010+ don't make too much of a performance difference. The stock airbox is better flowing than the 05-09 models. When you have the extra cash, go for the hand held tuner with 3 custom tunes from AM or Brenspeed ($379.99). You won't be dissapointed!
Old 08-08-2011, 12:58 AM
InvincibleLAW

Originally Posted by jAAAmes
i think it has to do with the car's computer "learning" your driving style, so if you don't really have a lead foot, it's going to slowly adapt and, well, get slower. a really stupid feature IMO. can anyone else confirm that's what it is doing? this is only my thought from experience.
Well, it sure feels like I have to adapt to the car instead of the car adapting to my driving style lol

And no problems idle at all.

So it seems like getting a tuner is the best way to go. I just want to wait for my warranty is up until I make any kinds of mod to it, but yeah I might have to make an exception cause that lag really does suck.

It's been a little over three days since the reset and I feel it slowly starting to lag again. Maybe it is my driving??
Old 08-08-2011, 08:35 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

"So it seems like getting a tuner is the best way to go. I just want to wait for my warranty is up until I make any kinds of mod to it, but yeah I might have to make an exception cause that lag really does suck."

FYI, when you purchase a tuner w/ custom tunes, you will be able to upload any of the 3 customs provided and your stock tune will be saved on the hand held tuner. With that said, You have the abilty to change your car back to stock settings, should you need to take your car to the dealership. The tune will definitely help with the lag!!!