Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Nitrous kit.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 02:25 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

Default DIY Nitrous kit.

Before you start off blahblahing at me about how potentionally dangerous this could be and how I should just buy the AM kit or another various specially designed kit blah blah blah blah...

please don't. I've heard it all, I know the risks. I'm willing to take the risk.

So that being said,
I want straight up knowledge, based off experience here.
No speculations, or quick googleing..

I want to make a DIY nitrous kit for my v6.
Boost levels wouldn't be too high..just enough to be safe on my engine, but still give me some get-up and go.

I'll buy the bottle myself off ebay or something (no I won't be reusing a fire extinguisher or some crap..) and I would also like to have a Dual Purge kit..(Not sure if this can be done DIY, so might buy it off AM..).

But anyways,
anyone have experience, writeups, etc?
Old 09-14-2011, 04:31 PM
AmericanICON
3rd Gear Member

OK, I'm not going to pee on your speed parade. However, because I have experience with a ZEX nitrous kit on my old V6 Mustang, there are a few important questions to consider.

1. How do you plan on administering the actual amount of nitrous that you're spraying?
2. Spraying nitrous at too low of an RPM, or too high, and hitting the rev limiter can spell disaster for your engine. How do you plan on controlling this?

The reason I ask is because with the ZEX kit that I had, the actual spray jet controlled the amount of "boost". Plus, the kit came with an electronic window switch. Basically a little module that allowed me to program the "window" that the nitrous could be sprayed, therefore preventing low rpm spray, which leads to detonation and engine damage, or spraying too high, which can lead to a backfire. Neither is good.

Nitrous is dangerous and there's a reason these safeguards are in place.

Nitrous is great for shaving a few ticks off of your 1/4 time at the track. But if you're thinking you can run around the streets armed and ready, and spray a shot here and there for some bursts of speed-- it doesn't work like that. It's not safe to spray in an environment where you cannot guarantee your speed. Lets say you're on the street, racing some guy and you're spraying, and then a car cuts you off and you have to slam on the brakes-- you have an automatic, and your car easily goes under 2500 rpm in that instance, and if you're still spraying.. blam-o-- good bye engine.

Take a look at the ZEX kit ($600 when i got it 3 years ago), and try and figure out how you're going to duplicate that stuff. You might invest $300 or $400 in parts... what are you really saving?

If you want some good "get up and go" for not alot of money-- seriously consider getting 3.73 gears and a t-lock. It'll feel like a different car all the way. Granted, the gears are cheap, but install can be pricey.

It's not cheap to go fast. You gotta pay to play!
Old 09-14-2011, 04:45 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

Yeah I was going to get a window switch to go along with.
As far as spraying, I was going to save it for the track. (if I can ever get to one..).

I'm looking into a procharger now....wooo big chunk of money.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:19 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

What do you mean by dual purge kit? If you mean two purge lines, just build a T into the traditional single purge, and run the lines wherever you want. My buddy set his to come out the gills in the side of his C4 Corvette. Looked pretty spiffy actually.

You'll want to run colder plugs (do some research on how many levels coder, I think ours was two), a window switch for WoT, and if you can, a piggyback timing controller to reduce timing during the window switch activation. Not sure if MSD builds a kit to interface with these cars. If not, you'll want to have a nitrous tune that backs off the timing (I think we did 10 degrees for a 100shot).

Are you planning on building a wet system, or a dry system?