Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pinion seal replacement gone BAD!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 07:00 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

That sucks man...dealers kinda suck huh? Good luck, I hope you don't have to pay out of your own pocket for this. Don't worry though, after this, I bet you everything'll be great and you'll enjoy the crap out of your amazing car
Old 09-18-2011, 07:53 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Thanks man! It just hurts me you know, cause I'm only 18 and I put everything I have into this car (mods add up to over $10k) and lately I have had nothing but trouble. My father was just explaining to me that maybe it was something the Realspeed messed up when they did the initial 4.10 install, and when the dealer removed and re-tightened the nut it just cause the bearing to fail completely. He was saying its kind of odd how a pinion seal could go bad on a car with 15k miles and only about 7k after a 4.10 install. He said it might have been some sort of defect in the bearing realspeed used, and the pinion had movement which messed up the seal and it finally gave way when the dealer worked on it. He just recently rebuilt his 9" rear for his 68 so he was explaining everything to me.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:45 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Trust me, I'm 18 as well. I saved up everything I had from a delivery job for 2 years, and my parents agreed to help out if I got a newer car that would last me way after college to me getting settled.

What'd I give to be able to put the money down for your mods though, wow
Just keep remembering you're very lucky, and regardless of what caused it, I'd bet any money that you'll be in the clear after this is done with. Just look forward to it getting fixed, and enjoy it!

And maybe it's just us being young, but I'm paranoid as hell about my car as well! I had the 2nd gear replaced per a tsb cuz I thought it felt notchy and felt scrape-ish on the 2nd gear downshift, but no grinding, with no change in feel after the job. I changed the fluid, and it helped a lot, but it's still a bit rough sometimes. I think I'm just over sensitive, that's all! I've been crapping myself about it for the 4k miles I've had the car, and I'm finally coming to terms with myself. I keep telling myself, as long as it's not grinding, it's fine.

/paranoia
Old 09-18-2011, 09:00 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Yeah man, luckily my parents actually bought me the car (they bought my sister one when she was 18 so it was only right lol) but I worked in a bakery which I HATEDDDD beyond belief to save for all my mods + gifts and high school grad gifts and crap, but ask any of my friends and they will say I am obsessed with my car. I love it to death, and yeah maybe its cause were young, but I am paranoid as hell cause I know if something serious goes wrong I am screwed. I put a lot of blood, sweat, tears, money, and time into this car, but I just want to enjoy it. I really hope this dealer knows what they are doing and can get it fixed the right way. If they cant get it right when they rebuild it, idk wtf to do. I am going to call in the morning and see what they say.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:13 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Worst case scenario, they can't do it right and I say you take it to JDM and pay to have the job done right. But honestly, they will be able to handle the job just fine. Don't worry, you'll be fine, the car'll be perfect, and everything will be awesome!

I know the "just want to enjoy it" feeling as that's what I've been telling myself every time I drive for the past 4k miles and analyze the exact feeling as I shift into second and what not. Basically OCD ftl haha. But, finally getting to that "just enjoy it" and loving it

Call the dealer in the morning and make sure they have their sh*t straight! Should put your mind at ease a bit. Oh, and tell the service manager you do NOT want the car taken out unless you are present. MAKE them work with you.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:24 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Dude I have OCD with this thing beyondddd belief lmao as you can probably tell. If something doesnt sound right to me, I want to know exactly what it is and why its doing it. I had a ticking/hissing sound that bothered the **** out of me for days, until I found out it was an exhaust leak. and I am going to tell the mechanic, service advisor, and service manager that I DO NOT want the car driven out of the dealership lot unless I am there. Hopefully all will go well and I dont have to go to JDM, but if it comes down to it its $750 (includes all parts, oils, & labor) and my parents are willing to help me out.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:28 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

I was just talking about it with my gf's father and think I might know what might have gone wrong. When the guy changed the pinion seal they had no idea I had 4.10 gears installed somewhere else, so what he might have done was just tighten/torque the pinion nut back to stock specs which screwed up the rear. He didnt check for backlash or anything, cause he thought it was a stock rear and went by everything in the ford manual, whereas Realspeed who installed my gears might have had it torqued or w.e a little different. Anyways I am going to the dealer tomorrow morning with my father to talk to them and make sure all is going to be good, and they are going to be able to handle it correctly.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:11 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

Man I have never seen someone have some much G-damn drama over a fuggin car! Sell that piece of chit and take up a hobby like playing guitar or body building.

Sorry man....but for *** sakes already!
Old 09-19-2011, 08:53 AM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
I was just talking about it with my gf's father and think I might know what might have gone wrong. When the guy changed the pinion seal they had no idea I had 4.10 gears installed somewhere else, so what he might have done was just tighten/torque the pinion nut back to stock specs which screwed up the rear. He didnt check for backlash or anything, cause he thought it was a stock rear and went by everything in the ford manual, whereas Realspeed who installed my gears might have had it torqued or w.e a little different. Anyways I am going to the dealer tomorrow morning with my father to talk to them and make sure all is going to be good, and they are going to be able to handle it correctly.
I've swapped flanges on my 2006 Mustang with 8.8 rear. There is really nothing to check. Torque Nut to 150 to 165 ft/lbs on reinstall and it will be fine. Dumb as tech probably used an impact wrench instead of torque wrench to put it back on.

Last edited by dmhines; 09-19-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:06 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Stopped by the dealer this morning to check how things were. They ordered the parts this morning and they will be in tomorrow morning. They are replacing and rebuilding it on them, I guess cause they effed up and it was not like that when I brought it in for a simple pinion seal change. They said they would give me a call when they got the ring and pinion out this was I can inspect it and see if it needs to be changed. Just aggrivates me that I went it for a pinion seal change, and now they are rebuilding my whole rear. Only thing I would have to pay out of pocket is for a 4.10 ring an pinion cause they cant replace it under warranty since the car came with 3.31's. Just hope they get it all together properly, otherwise I'll be visiting another dealer. Brought my gf's father with me so he could ask a few questions, and man they act totally different when you hand them a few $$. They have been very nice through this whole thing though and not giving me any problems.

Quick Reply: Pinion seal replacement gone BAD!!!