Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-20-2015, 11:45 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

Tire pressure sensors

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 06:55 AM
mlager8
1st Gear Member

Default Tire pressure sensors

If I put new rims and tires on is it worth getting new tire pressure sensors or can I switch the ones on my current setup?
Is there an easy way to reset the computer or do I need to bring it to a dealer?
Old 11-11-2011, 07:50 AM
LRSjmac
1st Gear Member

If you are looking at ordering a mounted/balanced set of wheels/tires I'd recommend going ahead & having new sensors installed at the same time. There is a training tool that we & other companies include with the sensor purchase.

Your OE sensors can be removed & put in your new wheels, but you are looking at hauling 2 sets of wheels/tires to a tire shop & paying for 8 dismounts, re-mounts & re-balances.

Basically, you just have to determine what is easier/more cost effective for your situation.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:45 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Computer cannot turn of TPMS.
Nor can Ford.
Its either new sensors and train them to your stang
or use the old sensors and new bands or
just put up with the TPMS warning like most of us do.
The sensors can be problematic and come loose
after being moved to the new wheels.
Read all about it here.

Searching 'TPMS' here on the Forum would have answered all
your questions and then some.
Its utterly amazing...

Last edited by 157dB; 11-11-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:55 AM
mlager8
1st Gear Member

Ok thanks for the answers. Buying an already mounted set off someone so I guess I'll just have to deal with the warning message, dont really wanna dismount and rebalance the tires.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:13 AM
flash gordon
2nd Gear Member

It's an interesting question. Sensors are good only when your tires are grossly underinflated. I check my tire pressure regularly, more often in the winter when the temperature really dips. My question is do we really need these sensors? My daily driver 2004 G35x has these sensors, but I really never count on them to do anything for me.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:55 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Functionally? The way I see it, they are utterly useless. Sure, they are a convenience, but not much more of one. They are nothing special, since I am old school and prefer to actually use a hand held air gauge to make sure the tires are at proper inflation. The TPMS does not say how much pressure you have in the car, only when the bastard is low.

I am just like you, they don't do S*** for me at all. It is a Federal Government regulation nanny. Instead of getting people to actually be responsible and maintain their cars, it only gives them one more dumb-dumb device for the lazy masses to shirk off the smallest of responsibility of car maintenance: checking your air pressure, topping of the fluids, etc.

The Feds had it in their mind that such a dumb-dumb nanny device is supposed to actually help improve our national fuel economy one drop of gas at a time, but they are falsely mistaken in that such nanny devices allow drivers to drive on rather under-inflated tires for a good while before the damn thing goes off.

Example: IIRC, my car needs about 30PSI per tire for proper inflation. When I first bought my car, it was my first with Tire pressure sensors, so I thought it was the coolest thing and became lazy and neglected to do my weekly tire pressure checks. One day, I noticed one of my tires looking low, so turned on the ignition and my dash message board never lit up with the low tire light. Being dubious of the lack of message, I measured it manually and found the offending tire had dropped below 20PSI. The next day, my tire was low again! This much lower than the day before. The dash message never lit up with the low tire. I aired it up again and headed out to a tire shop to find the leak and get a plug. The tire leaked out on the way there, and finally the damn message board lit up for the low tire! Basically, my bad tire dropped to I am guessing as low as 15PSI before the stupid TPMS ever lit up.

TPMS is just plain stupid and a waste of manufacturing cost. Mine only went off when a tire is WAY below critical low pressure.
NOW, if TPMS read off CURRENT tire pressures PER TIRE, and displayed that, I would be much less dubious of the damn nanny device.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

TPMS is only useful if it can report the actual tire pressure. Mercedes's system will report the actual pressure in each tire. THAT is useful.

It's like the difference between a dummy light and a real guage. Guage is good, light is well...dumb since it only reports the failure and not impending failure.

the only time my TPMS light has kicked on was when a tire was at 27 PSI shortly after I bought the car. The valvestem was not tight and was causing an air leak.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:19 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Yes, it would be great to have a continuous readout of the pressure in each tire.

The "idiot light" did come on once, and I found that one tire was going down from a nail. I think the pressure was about 27 psi, but I can't remember for sure. Another time I found low pressure (I think about the same pressure as previously) during my routine monthly tire pressure check. The light had not come on.

Whatever.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:44 PM
Hotwheelracer
3rd Gear Member

I just swapped my wheels and tires 2 months ago and didn't feel like spending more dough for the sensors/bands. Now if I feel like it I hit the reset button to get rid of the message, and I always ignore the dummy light. Barely notice either now. They are completely unneccesary for me, but maybe for a single women who never pays attention to her car they could be useful.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:15 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Hmmm, my Challenger has the 'each tire PSI' reading in real time.
Not just a warning... But when you rotate the tires, they need to
be 'retrained' as to their new location. I just put a sticker on the
inside of the rim visable from the front by the valve stem of their
original OEM location and dont get them 'retrained'.

You can easily retrain yourself to ignore the TPMS dummy light.
I did it real quick and now notice when its "OFF" instead of when its "ON".
A statigically placed piece of black tape also works...
Attached Thumbnails Tire pressure sensors-tirepressure.jpg  

Last edited by 157dB; 11-12-2011 at 03:05 PM.