Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real strange drivability symptomn 2011 V6

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 08:53 PM
wkayl
1st Gear Member

Default Real strange drivability symptomn 2011 V6

A couple of months ago my wife claimed that it seemed like a wheel was loose. I was not along when it happened. I checked the car over and found nothing wrong. I blamed it on maybe a rock in the brakes. A week ago, I made a left hand turn from a stoplight. I thought the car was quitting, kind of like the engine cutting out, but then it seemed to come from the right front wheel. Engine was running ok, I tapped the brakes and that is when it seemed like it went away. It has happened only these 2 times in the 28,000 miles. My thought is maybe the antilock brakes?

Any thoughts?

Last edited by wkayl; 12-20-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:58 PM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Wish we could help you, but you are misspelling words and leaving out some key words I think. What exactly was coming from the wheel? Was the car jerking to make you think it was the engine cutting off?
Old 12-20-2011, 11:34 PM
wkayl
1st Gear Member

Sorry, didn't know it was a grammar web site. I just thought if someone else has had a similar problem, they could give an opinion. I’ll just take to the dealer and let them have a shot at it being it is still under warranty.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:41 PM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wkayl
Sorry, didn't know it was a grammar web site. I just thought if someone else has had a similar problem, they could give an opinion. I’ll just take to the dealer and let them have a shot at it being it is still under warranty.
lol....all I asked was to clarify. Wasn't intended to insult your grammar, poor choice of words I guess on my side.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:41 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

So the engine felt like it was dying out on you? What RPMs was it running at during that incident? Does it do this during start up, or do you have a rough idle? If so, I would guess a misfire, but some extra info would be nice.

Do you have any aftermarket parts installed? Sometimes if you have a leak from a CAI you can get some really weird responses from the engine.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:08 AM
scottybaccus
2nd Gear Member

You are getting tagged by the traction control.

I regularly, especially on damp pavement or with sand and trash on the road, feel the car shudder as the limited slip scoots the rear sideways just a tad. It sometimes results in a difference of wheel speed from side to side that is enough to trigger the traction control. That's when the throttle drops and it comes back gradually to make a smooth start. It's way slower than I like, but not a malfunction.

Once in a while, I also feel a stutter in one front wheel as the abs and traction control struggle with lock up at very low speeds, 10-15 mph. I never feel it in the pedal, but have been able to associate it with debris on the road, again.

My last vehicle with traction control was pretty sophisticated and would override the throttle. It was nowhere near as aggressive as my Mustang. I still don't regard it as a defect. It's just a characteristic of the new technology. I expect it will improve in later models as the evolve.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:31 AM
wkayl
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottybaccus
You are getting tagged by the traction control.

I regularly, especially on damp pavement or with sand and trash on the road, feel the car shudder as the limited slip scoots the rear sideways just a tad. It sometimes results in a difference of wheel speed from side to side that is enough to trigger the traction control. That's when the throttle drops and it comes back gradually to make a smooth start. It's way slower than I like, but not a malfunction.

Once in a while, I also feel a stutter in one front wheel as the abs and traction control struggle with lock up at very low speeds, 10-15 mph. I never feel it in the pedal, but have been able to associate it with debris on the road, again.

My last vehicle with traction control was pretty sophisticated and would override the throttle. It was nowhere near as aggressive as my Mustang. I still don't regard it as a defect. It's just a characteristic of the new technology. I expect it will improve in later models as the evolve.
That sounds just like what happened. Car is bone stock except for a remote start system with Smart Start.. Has happened only 2 times in almost 30,000 miles and only for about 5 seconds each time. Like I said above, my 1st impression was engine. After it was over and I replayed it in my head, seemed like rt front wheel brake quickly locking and unlocking 10 times in 5 seconds. It could have been anti lock or traction controll. It was over so quick that I didn't have time to look over gages, just tap the brake and then it went away. Wife is more worried about it than I am. I know if I take it to the dealer they will find no proble. May take it to them just to have a record on file in case it happens again and something is actually wrong.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:24 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

Just hope it doesn't happen when the road surface is slippery.