Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Occasional Rough 3rd Gear Shift = New Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 01:22 PM
SD 197
2nd Gear Member

Default Occasional Rough 3rd Gear Shift = New Automatic Transmission

I bought my 2005 GT Convertible in July, and it recently was brought back to the dealer for an occasionally rough 2nd to 3rd gear shift, it would also clunk sometimes going into 3rd gear.

Turns out it's an internal problem that can be solved by an overhaul. But the dealer contacted my 3rd Party Warranty, and they approved a whole new transmission that comes with a 3 year/36K warranty as well.

So good for me, and finally an extended warranty that actually paid for itself!

I mention this because I know there are other owners here who have the occasional clunking and rough shifting in certain gears, and have brushed it off as "character". I thought it was normal until I drove another Mustang GT slushbox, and it was smooth like butter! You may want to consider taking it to the dealer and having it diagnosed if you are still under warranty. It maybe something that can be dealt with.

For those out of warranty, it may not be all bad. There was no indication that the problem would have destroyed the tranny eventually, and it maybe something most people can live with if they don't want to pay $2,500 to overhaul or $4,000 to replace the auto tranny.

Last edited by SD 197; 03-07-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:27 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Mine's "rough" going into second when I first start going, but I don't have any grinding. I already had the TSB done to replace the synchros, and it made no difference, so I'm taking it as character as you said...are you saying I'm wrong to think that? It's smooth otherwise once it's been driven a few minutes.

The best I can describe it is a scraping feeling.

I see no reason why a transmission designed to take abuse like this wouldn't be a bit notchy on start up....maybe I'm wrong? Hope not, I don't want to go through that experience again. I was without my car for almost 3 weeks if I remember correctly while they worked on it.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:39 PM
SD 197
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by HxCGuitars
Mine's "rough" going into second when I first start going, but I don't have any grinding. I already had the TSB done to replace the synchros, and it made no difference, so I'm taking it as character as you said...are you saying I'm wrong to think that? It's smooth otherwise once it's been driven a few minutes.

The best I can describe it is a scraping feeling.

I see no reason why a transmission designed to take abuse like this wouldn't be a bit notchy on start up....maybe I'm wrong? Hope not, I don't want to go through that experience again. I was without my car for almost 3 weeks if I remember correctly while they worked on it.
Sorry HxCGuitars, I should have specified it was for the Automatic, not manual.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:40 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SD 197
Sorry HxCGuitars, I should have specified it was for the Automatic, not manual.
Oh! I feel better again, thanks

Congrats on the new trans and a warranty actually paying off!
Old 03-07-2012, 03:23 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

where did you get the 3rd party warranty?
Old 03-07-2012, 04:43 PM
SD 197
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andy13186
where did you get the 3rd party warranty?
I bought the car used at my local Ford dealer, they offered me an all inclusive 3rd party warranty from Century Service Warranty for $1,500. All inclusive does not include body, glass, paint, weather stripping, squeaks, and a few other things "bumper to bumper" dealer warranties would cover. But I don't know of any 3rd party warranty that would cover those things. They do cover almost all mechanical, electrical, brakes, air con, and suspension stuff. Excluding wear items like brake pads, clutches, etc.

You can usually purchase these as an individual even out of warranty. They have different prices and restrictions based on year and mileage of your car.

But not all of these 3rd party warranties are created equal. There are terrible stories out there of these warranties cheating people out, and not covering repairs based on really loose technicalities.

Most have at least a $50 deduct, and require you to pay for the initial inspection before they approve or disapprove of the repair.

In my case, they could have easily turned down the repair, which meant I would be out $150 for the initial tranny inspection/tear down, and the $35 rental car I'm paying every day. That's not including being stuck with a tranny they won't fix and the $1,500 I already paid for the warranty. Luckily they are covering everything.

Last edited by SD 197; 03-07-2012 at 04:49 PM.