Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got keyed...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 10:16 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by xkape
Explain that.

Unless I am misunderstanding, If I follow your logic, I could have burned the car to the ground, murdered a teacher and raped a girl before I left BUT, the police would not come out to file a report cause it was on Private Property so it was ok.

A crime is a crime, no matter where it happens and no matter how minor or major.
Unfortunately, D'Prived is correct, atleast in many areas... besides, it is hard to compare the crimes of murder and rape to vandalism. Not quite apples to apples... In some areas, if there is a car accident on private property and no one is injured, the drivers can have a report called in over the phone. No onsite response required by the police. Crimes where there is danger of physical harm is probably their priority if there is a shortage on the force. Just speculation here regardless, because unless the OP calls we'll never know.

Don
Old 05-18-2012, 10:25 AM
D'prived
4th Gear Member

Explain that.

Unless I am misunderstanding, If I follow your logic, I could have burned the car to the ground, murdered a teacher and raped a girl before I left BUT, the police would not come out to file a report cause it was on Private Property so it was ok.

A crime is a crime, no matter where it happens and no matter how minor or major.
Apples and oranges buddy. A car getting keyed doesn't compare to murder or rape. Inanimate object vs human tragedy... your logic totally escapes me.

Last edited by D'prived; 05-18-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:14 AM
Ares05
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by D'prived
Apples and oranges buddy. A car getting keyed doesn't compare to murder or rape. Inanimate object vs human tragedy... your logic totally escapes me.
I work at a movie theater, we only have cameras on the inside(which is beyond me). Someone in the lot got keyed and we have officers on duty at our theater who are under contract. So they went out with them, and essentially told them "we are really sorry, there isn't much we can do". I think the cameras would have helped out the best, lazy *** security guard. Honestly I would have called him out, also take that to the principal that's crap.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:43 AM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

that sucks nuts.. Someone saw something, it's just the issue of getting that someone to talk... Spread it around that you have them looking at camera footage (they don't have to know the guy doing it is useless..) so they know who to send the cops after, and see if any one you know starts getting uptight about that.

Whats worse is when you have car ding damage, and it's someone in your own household who won't own up to it...
Old 05-18-2012, 12:18 PM
xkape
4th Gear Member

Catching the person will never happen anyway. Even if the security guard can see that only 1 individual went in and out during the timeframe, without anyone or any camera actually seeing it happen, then, it didn't. Kinda like on here.. pics or it didn't happen.

My logic is sound. Crime is crime. My damn tax dollars pay their salaries and they are here to serve and protect. If a crime occured, no matter how small, I should be able to (and can) report it.

As far as them just taking the report over the phone instead of coming out in person, I overlooked the fact that that is possible. As long as a report is taken, it's all good. Otherwise, your insurance company probably wouldn't pay to have it fixed.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

I would notify the police, but wouldn't be shocked if they didn't make a report. The insurance companies have a good handle on which departments take reports of this nature and which don't. Someone hit my parked car while he was parking and didn't leave a note. At least he didn't move his car after he hit mine. I walked out to my car, and there was his bumper planted squarely on top of mine. The police actually came out, but they didn't make a report. They talked to the guy, but didn't cite him. I didn't have any problem with my insurance company (who collected from his insurance company, and thus paid me the full amount of the damage--no deductible).

As to leaving the car at home because of this incident, I'd really give that some thought. Yes, leaving the car at home will prevent this from happening again in the school parking lot. But you have to think about whether you are going to get in a pattern of letting bullies dictate your life from here on out. You have to decide when to hold 'em, when to fold 'em, when to walk away, when to run away, etc. No real advice from me in this case except to give it some thought.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:46 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Catching the person will never happen anyway. Even if the security guard can see that only 1 individual went in and out during the timeframe, without anyone or any camera actually seeing it happen, then, it didn't. Kinda like on here.. pics or it didn't happen.

My logic is sound. Crime is crime. My damn tax dollars pay their salaries and they are here to serve and protect. If a crime occured, no matter how small, I should be able to (and can) report it. As far as them just taking the report over the phone instead of coming out in person, I overlooked the fact that that is possible. As long as a report is taken, it's all good. Otherwise, your insurance company probably wouldn't pay to have it fixed.
No one disputed that. And I even made reference that in my experience here in my tiny town of Temple, that an officer need not be present in every instance to file said report. I'm just saying don't be surprised when the dispatcher says sorry, but an officer cannot come out.

Don
Old 05-18-2012, 02:20 PM
Stuart McWilliams
2nd Gear Member

HAHA I've read all your comments about calling the police and making a report and nearly laughed! Yes, it would make sense to make a police report and have them investigate (again, it is their job), but I forgot to include: we have an actual police officer on campus. My mom went in to see if she could do anything more than I was able to and spoke to the police officer. He practically said the same thing and smirked about how the cameras can't really do anything! We have a man that goes to my church that does bodywork and if it does cost less than the $500 deductible, we will of course pay in cash, otherwise, if it costs a little bit more, we might still pay in cash. Me being a teenage boy would hate to see my insurance rates skyrocket! I have started parking closer to the cameras now, but no telling if someone will hit me or door ding me. Especially if it's on the passenger door side, it might be a week before I notice it, and by then too late to get that looked at security. I will continue driving to school as I am just a Junior and have another whole year to go so I really don't have much of a choice. I pretty much have it narrowed down to a bunch a kids who drive fart-rockets, but I have no proof so nothing I can do!
Old 05-18-2012, 03:40 PM
Ares05
2nd Gear Member

really sorry though man, good luck!
Old 05-18-2012, 04:37 PM
DirtFarmer

That is ****ty, I hope you never find out who did it. Im happy i dont know who did it to mine...I'd probably be in jail.

Quick Reply: Got keyed...