Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top Gear episode - Shelby vs Roush

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 02:10 PM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

I'm in Oklahoma.. it's 90% straight roads here. However, being planted to the ground when taking a 90 degree turn is very exciting (what comes to mind is the CAI/exhuast RX8 I drove. Or mid 90's miata). I was even watching the motor trend review of the new 3.7 mustang and there's so much nose dive and lift when accelerating/breaking on the 2013, it's rediculous. Truck suspension.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Jas5
I'm in Oklahoma.. it's 90% straight roads here. However, being planted to the ground when taking a 90 degree turn is very exciting (what comes to mind is the CAI/exhuast RX8 I drove. Or mid 90's miata). I was even watching the motor trend review of the new 3.7 mustang and there's so much nose dive and lift when accelerating/breaking on the 2013, it's rediculous. Truck suspension.
Because those that would buy a 3.7 are cross shopping other cars with similar engine sizes and in other classes so they have to put in a cushy suspension. Otherswise they (Ford) may lose a sale to someone looking at a Honda Accord Coupe, Altima Coupe, or other vehicle that's not really in the same class but people will cross shop anyways based on MPG, comfort, etc.

A GT only has a few in its class, Camaro, Challenger.... Some would argue a BMW 335is/x 370Z/G37 as well but we know better. Regardless those are all performance oriented cars so the suspension and brakes match the expectation. We're more forgiving of a rough ride as a trade for the seat-of-the-pants feel.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:56 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Because those that would buy a 3.7 are cross shopping other cars with similar engine sizes and in other classes so they have to put in a cushy suspension. Otherswise they (Ford) may lose a sale to someone looking at a Honda Accord Coupe, Altima Coupe, or other vehicle that's not really in the same class but people will cross shop anyways based on MPG, comfort, etc.

A GT only has a few in its class, Camaro, Challenger.... Some would argue a BMW 335is/x 370Z/G37 as well but we know better. Regardless those are all performance oriented cars so the suspension and brakes match the expectation. We're more forgiving of a rough ride as a trade for the seat-of-the-pants feel.
Yep. Strangely enough, I've never felt that I had handling issues like Top Gear described. When I take those 360 degree highway ramps at 60-65mph, I feel pretty firmly planted. Maybe its the lowering springs?
Old 06-08-2012, 03:19 PM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

Here in Texas we have curves and I love driving my Stang till it squeals outta the
turns! Straight roads can KMA #2, just sayin.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:32 PM
MoshpitMad
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Young_Gun
Yep. Strangely enough, I've never felt that I had handling issues like Top Gear described. When I take those 360 degree highway ramps at 60-65mph, I feel pretty firmly planted. Maybe its the lowering springs?
That isn't gonna test your suspension. Try a back country/mountain curvy road with undulations and switchbacks with uneven pavement. The back end of the Mustang feels pretty loose and sketchy to me compared to other cars I've drive with IRS.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:46 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

I live in the boonies of eastern Colorado. Lots of long straight roads here (very few cops too). But I have taken my car to the mountains. Never been car sick in my life, but the first time I pushed it really hard on the twisties I thought I was gonna puke.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:25 PM
Ineil

I would still take my new Roush Stage 3 over the new GT500.

Last edited by Ineil; 06-08-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:39 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by groho
Watching Top Gear yesterday, (dang those guys are hollarious!) where the boys test drove a GT500 (probably an 2009 episode). One of the comments that caught my attention was that the Roush had better suspension, and the GT500 lacked suspension upgrades due to costs. Is this still the case in 2012 and 2013? Does Roush truly outperform Shelby?
Man I wish people would stop getting their information from Top Gear. I know the episode you're talking about. It's the one where Jeremy Fathead claims that the GT500 is a supercharged 4.6 liter (it isn't) and that the Roush has independent rear suspension (it doesn't). Look at the end of my sig. It's been that way for years. Top Gear should have a disclaimer: "For Entertainment Purposes Only. We Don't Actually Know a Thing About The Cars We Review."

The episode where they call Ford liars for advertising the GT500 as a 500hp car when it only makes 460 REAR WHEEL hp was the final straw for me. What kind of idiot claims to be an automotive journalist and doesn't know the difference between RWHP and Flywheel HP?
Old 06-08-2012, 11:44 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Man I wish people would stop getting their information from Top Gear. I know the episode you're talking about. It's the one where Jeremy Fathead claims that the GT500 is a supercharged 4.6 liter (it isn't) and that the Roush has independent rear suspension (it doesn't). Look at the end of my sig. It's been that way for years. Top Gear should have a disclaimer: "For Entertainment Purposes Only. We Don't Actually Know a Thing About The Cars We Review."

The episode where they call Ford liars for advertising the GT500 as a 500hp car when it only makes 460 REAR WHEEL hp was the final straw for me. What kind of idiot claims to be an automotive journalist and doesn't know the difference between RWHP and Flywheel HP?
... Richard Hammond at least respects the American cars. And Americans.

Jeremy is just an idiot.