Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CIA/Tune or 3.73/4.10 gears on automatic

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 06:32 AM
SixIron

Do the CAI/Tune. Just drive it stock for a couple of thousand miles first. Then you'll fully appreciate the difference it makes. IT IS A BIG DIFFERENCE!
Old 07-27-2012, 06:56 AM
billy mack
1st Gear Member

I went with the 4.10 gears first,
I ran 13.3 @ 107 bone stock, then with the gears I ran 13.0 @ 110.
My good friend bought a boss kit from AM, and he ran 13.4 @ 111 with it, keep in mind there is a good 4-5 tenth loss at this track because it has no traction compound, and goes slightly up hill, but with my other cars that's the diffidence between this track and others..
The only thing about the gears, is the car shifts too soon, but I have a tuner coming that will fix that issue..
Old 07-27-2012, 07:53 AM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Thanks again for the great feedback - has helped me understand a lot!

My manual shifting skills have never been good anyway (after 30+ years of driving manuals) so I am sure the auto will be a good choice for me and let me personally get the most out of this car.

Off to test drive again this afternoon and will post results. (Hopefully be back here full time : )

Last edited by rogan01; 07-27-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:16 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

If you were close id let you take my car for a spin. Let us know how it goes today!!
Old 07-27-2012, 01:07 PM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Go with the CAI/Tune as many have expressed here, it's been explained well but let me help a little bit more coming from an auto myself;

The CAI isn't the big piece here, but added in with the TUNE, it's advantageous indeed.

The tune is where the magic is; It will change your shift points making them crisper and more responsive to 'stepping into it' and waiting for it to shift down, with higher octane tunes it alters the firing combined with altered air intake to give you a bit broader powerband (Into it at a lower RPM). The tune will also offer you different 'flavors' depending on your driving style or need (Performance, Street, or Race) and these each have their pro's/differences.

GL today at the dealership!!
Old 07-27-2012, 01:11 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Just came back from my 2nd test drive. Funny what grabber blue said about putting 15 miles on it - that was exactly how many miles the display said were left before empty : )

This dealer is located in an area far from any highways - all around are residential neighborhoods with 30 MPH signs and one major highway that is always backed up and lots of lights so I didn't get a chance to try much out. Got it to 4000 rpm at one point but that was it. Had to back down right away. Couldn't really tell much - at least not enough to buy today.

I will probably go to another dealer close to me that is near an expressway tomorrow and drive one of the 2 autos they have there so I can at least try the 60-80 performance.

Thanks again for all the help with gears/tune info - that chart with ratios was very informative. I'll post back how the next test drive goes...
Old 07-27-2012, 02:52 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by rogan01
About to pull the trigger on a 2012 GT Premium Automatic. This would be my 5th GT since 2004 but my first automatic. Last car was a 2011 GT manual with stock 3.73 gears and brembo brake pkg. Had to trade due to physical issue but need my Mustang. Drove a couple of automatics and was impressed.

Only option is 19" wheels. If you could only do1 mod, would you recommend gears (3.73 or 4.10) or a CIA/Tune? What would I "feel" with each independently in an automatic?

Thanks for any opinions or experience as always.
If you install a 3.73 or 4.10, you need to compensate for the gear in the tune, so a CAI/Tuner combo as a first mod is kind of a no brainer. And if you buy the CAI/Tuner from UPR, you get free tunes for life. So you can get like an 87 octane tune, a 93 octane tune, and a 4.10 tune for when you swap gears down the road. And if you add any other mods, we can just send you a new tune to work with them.

Another point I didn't see addressed here is how we improve the automatic's shifting with the tune. This is an additional benefit to tuning an auto rather than a manual trans.

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-s...ackage-11.html
Old 07-27-2012, 08:14 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I think jayyvee sort of got there about the tune being able to improve the shifting.

As far as the gears themselves are concerned, you may want to think about where you want the performance and what you want to give up to get it there. Compared to the MT82, some of the 6R60 gears are lower and some are higher, so there's no consistent axle gear for the automatic that makes the overall 6R60 ratios match all of the overall MT82 ratios.

For example, 4.10's with the 6R60 would pretty closely match 3rd thru 5th with the MT82 with 3.55's (and 2nd isn't too far off), but you'd be running 1st out really quick and you'd be running a lot of revs in 6th on the highway even with 6th being a substantial overdrive. If you'd like, I could post the spreadsheet image (after cleaning it up a little).

Norm
Old 07-28-2012, 12:56 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

I would do CAI/tune first, though I don't know if the tuners got all the kinks out of them yet. That'll get you the first bang for your buck.

When you get gears installed for an automatic, you will need to have the shift points updated in the tune. I would recommend getting your CAI/tune from some place that will give you free updates, such as Bama. I haven't looked at Brenspeed lately but they used to update your tune(s) for free if you bought the part from them.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:53 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Make that another vote for a CAI/Bama tune setup! You definitely won't regret going with a tune over gears. Just as everyone's mentioned, the throttle response, shifting behavior and extra hp is incredible. Let me know if you have any questions, concerns, or suggestions with any of our products. I'm happy to help!

Shane